Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive not detected at all, need to recover data

Status
Not open for further replies.

evildoughboi

Technical User
Jun 22, 2001
US
yea i dink some ppl kno that i have put a msg on another forum *data recovery....is there another way...* buh i need some major help on this. i cannot detect this hard drive on any computer *tried 3* and would not be detected on master/secondary master and slave..... tried all four.... and doesnt work. need help into gettin into it and salvaging the info on it. PLZ NEED MAJOR HELP!! THANKS ALOT!

does "fdisk" see the drive? if not then you may have a dead drive. Also, supplied with norton system works comes 3 rescue disks. i have saved many drives with those 3 disks. i suggest finding a copy of those disks and try to recover your drive. you could possibly find it on the internet.

sounds like the drive is toast. go to and type in "data recovery"

good luck

well how will da rescue disks work if the computer dont even detect the drive?? juss a question, and also fdisk does not detect a hard drive in the computer so its as if the computer has no hard drive. in addition, typing in c: does not work in does..... invalid drive specification. i've been readin on da internet that freezing it mite bring it bak for like 20 mins and mite be enuf to get sum info from it, do you think this would work. i do kno that it wud totallie screw up the drive for g'd buh do you think that would work? thanks for da reply!

I have read somewhere on this board about someone putting a hard drive in the freezer for about 30min then putting it in a system and possibly getting data off the drive. Sounds like a last ditch effort, who knows, I have dropped one before and got one last boot to copy data off of it before it died competly.
Good Luck.. A+ MCP
deans@bellsouth.net

is there another way other than freezing it, or opening it, that i can get bak my info from it?? tahnks for da replies.

if the data is that important i suggest sending it to a data recovery company. otherwise i think your up creek without a paddle, sorry.

something similiar happened to somebody I know, this person asked me if I could check her computer, her hdd can't be recognized in the bios... it was working properly for 2 yrs, but some days ago the hdd was dead... I tried to put this hdd in other cpu's and it can't be recognized by any bios... and if I put another hdd in her computer it is easily recognized by the bios, so I think her hdd is dead, and I was hoping to receive suggestions to see if I can recover some data out of her hdd.

thanks

Tesa, you will have better luck posting a new message. Lots of posters here quit looking at the posts after 3 or 4 replies. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Your HDD's head may be sticking to the platter, a condition know as "sticktion" (spelling?).

Try tapping the bottom of the drive GENTLY with the handle of a screwdriver a few times. If you can see the spindle shaft (the end of a metal rod, generally looks like stainless steel or aluminum) tap very gently on that. These taps MUST be done when there is NO POWER to the drive or you risk damaging the drive severely!
Hope this helps.

p.s. I have been doing this daily to my 9.5 yr old drive for the past few months, and I have had no new errors crop up on the drive. I keep the side of my case open for just this purpose.

Probably a seagate 300 series.
Better alternative if you can run it out of the box is to rotate the drive in the same plane as the disks then stop the rotation abruptly, like with the heel of the other hand. Keeps any shocks from vibrating the heads.
And drives at that time had a light head lubricant, which effectively helped seal the head to the platter. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

I am having the same exact problem with my hard drive, the pc won't recognize it, I'm pretty sure its dead.

I was upgrading from windows 95 to 98se and the cable modem was still on now theres no hard drive detected oops !!!

I was upgrading from windows 95 to 98se and the cable modem was still on now theres no hard drive detected oops !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back