Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive needs format

Status
Not open for further replies.

lanceja

MIS
May 23, 2002
US
I have a hard drive that came out of a 2000 server. I want to install it on a 2003 server so I can get the data off. When I put it on the 2003 server the 2003 server says that the drive needs formatting.

I do not want to format until after I get the data.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

You'll have to try a Data recovery app. such as File Recover Pro, or GetDataback, to get the data back.

They are not free, but i believe both have trial versions that will let you see what data is recoverable before purchasing
the full version and be able to recover it.

----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Was the HD working before you moved it?

This is a Signature and not part of the answer, it appears on every reply.

This is an Analogy so don't take it personally as some have.

Why change the engine if all you need is to change the spark plugs.

How about putting it back in the 2KS and transfer it another way, like network.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Did the drive work in the 2000 server? Get a usb thumb drive or external hard drive. Have you tried different pin settings on the drive? CS or Slave. Have you used the bios to find the drive? Download a torrent of 2000 and use MAKEBOOT to see if you can fix the boot sector/ MBR.

Best of Luck,

Tim

Whack it back in the old machine and copy it over the network. WAY easier than anything else.

lanceja

Well...??? Please update when you get the chance.

Tony

Users helping Users...

Sorry for not getting back sooner. We finally reformatted the drive. We had copied to an external drive while it was in the server but due to being over 250Gb of data, wanted to transfer faster than over the network. That was why we installed in the 2k3 server.

Thanks for all the replies.

I had same issue with a cheap new Mobo, every hard drive I hooked up to the new mobo I had same error. But they work great back on original Mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back