Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HARD DRIVE KEEPS CHATTERING

Status
Not open for further replies.

MiklK

Technical User
Dec 30, 2001
US
Sorry about this probably simple question. The HDD seems to keep reading or writing, chattering away. Sometimes it eventually stops, other times it continues for hours.
System is:
Aptiva 2158-240
Win98 (1st edition with all patches)
AMD K2-6 550
256 RAM
IE 5.5 SP2

Startup Programs are:
systray
aptezbp (for keyboard)
scanreg
load pwr profile
config safe (revert program)
NProtect (Norton)
ESSOLO (sound)
CCapp
CCregvfy (both needed for norton protection)
LoadPwrProfile
ccEvtMgr
Scriptblocking (norton)
TrueVector (zone labs)
ZoneAlarm
Rain

Seems like a lot, sys resources in mid-80's on startup.
- is one or more of these programs likely responsible for the read/write chatter?

Thx - I appreciate any input

(A bird in the hand greatly interferes with typing.)
Mikl

Config safe might be the culprit - is that it's full name? Roxio use to have this program called Go Back that kept track of *every* change made on your hard drive. If you surfed the web much, it would go on for hours trying to keep records on all the links, temp files and cookies that you could care less about.

A quick way to tell might be to start Task Manager next time you hear it chattering. I don't think the 98 version shows which process is using disk I/O, but if you click on the CPU Utilization column of the running procs, it will sort them by %. You should see System Idle at the top (highest value) and one jumping up near the top over and over again when the chattering is happening. Post the name of it (or just Google on it) and you should be able to tell.

If it's not app related, the first thing I would think of is how full is your HD? What is the size of your swap file? Have you ever defragged your drive? Do you ever have errors on the drive?

The problem may not really be your Hard Disk Drive, but most likely the CD-ROM or CD-RW that you are using.

I have had these type of problems before (just finished with this exact model of IBM Aptiva). The customer had replaced the origional CD-ROM with a SONY CD-RW. Sometime later the customer started to experience problems with the computer and replaced it with a new model. The old computer was give to me to work on.

To determine if this is the problem or not, do the following:

Insure that there isn't a CD in the Drive when running the computer.

If the computer does not now experience the problem that you initially described, then replace the CD Drive.

You can re-test the CD drive now, by putting in a CD and the computer will attempt to spin up the drive to read the CD. It makes noise of the spin-up over and over again, and may take many minutes or hours to resolve this.

I have had this problem before with both SONY and SAMSUNG CD-ROM/RW Drives. It does not have anything to do with the computer, but with this internal device.

----------------------

If the problem is related to the Hard Disk Drive, Replace it. The noise will typically be different, with seek errors or grinding of the bearings. The disk drive will not tpically work better after any hours, but will be more likely to fail with heat being generated as the drive attempts to run.

Please be aware that the disk drive is a Quantum BigFoot. It is about at the end of life now, as typically drives only last about 3-4 years on average. This 6 GB drive is slow and loud. It should be replaced with a 40 or 80 GB drive, which will be smaller. You can move it to a location above the MicroFloopy. If you attemt to locate it in the current drive location, you will need drive rails to accomidate the larger space under the CD-ROM Bay.

The Disk Drive kit will allow you to copy all of the old drive contents to the new disk drive.

Dreamland mentioned goback. Goback has been around for many many years now. It is currently packaged with norton systemworks but you can get standalone versions of it, and i think you can get versions coming from Broderbund even.
Anyway, the newer version, goback 4 is a very good version and it doesnt do all what dreamland mentioned, if in fact it ever did. I was one of the first to buy goback when it first came out, a small company by the name of "Wildfile" started it. If goback is set up right then the thrashing about that you are talking about is not due to goback. If it was, i would have stopped using it long ago. So i believe you can look elsewhere for your problem. Unless, perhaps, you are running a very very old version, say version 2, but even then i still doubt it.

Sounds like you could even have a virus, or more likely a trojan. You can go here for a good online scan:

I imagine you are running an AV prog and some spyware programs, spybot and the like.

Good advice + great people = tek-tips

could rain be a virus or spyware? unless you know what it is. done a search and can not find any info on this. go into msconfig and disable it and reboot to see what happens.

Web Hosting & Telecommunications

well just found out what rain is. its a pc cooling software right? well for a AMD K2-6 550 i don't think you need this. more program you have on startup the more resources they use. its probably checking status every few seconds. disable it as i said before and see what happens.

Web Hosting & Telecommunications

i have demoted this computer to 2d place. only for some special programs i use rarely.
Config safe runs one a week. I have GoBack too by the way, and love it.
I hav current NSW 200 up to date so i don't think it's a trojan/virus. it was doing this before i got rain. it's a wel known pgram, heard about i through Fred Langa's LangaList newsletter.
I replaced the HDD and it still functions with the chatter, which is weird.

But i'm now using a Coolermaster CAV 3 case with a very loud 120mm rear fan as my primary unit, and am trying to find out the CFM and dB so i can replace it with something sounding less like a wind tunnel!

thx for all your thoughts and experience.
Mikl

Mickerry, you posted in the wrong place.
MiklK, just ignore that post and carry on.

mickerry is MiklK - i just can't post on as MiklK anymore and cannot find out why.

Thanks to all

Love the people at Tek-Tips

Mikl

lol!!

I've noticed that one post i know of is missing, and when you go to a post from outside this site it doesnt always give you the freshest or newest version or page.

Ok, i have an idea. When the chatter happens, go to task manager and see what is running and at what percentage.
That might tell us something.
Also, in computer management\event viewer\system, look and see if there are any red marks there. If so give us the number(s) listed under event.

dear garebo - thx for trying to help. i think i have other issues that need my attention more (like that noisy freekin 120mm rear fan) as i set up my new DIY system. By the way, the old system that is the subject of the thread is Win98, so i don't think

"in computer management\event viewer\system, look and see if there are any red marks there" is gonna fly.

have a great day
Mikl

Ok, good luck on that.

When you do replace the "noisy" fan, leave the side cover off and see if you can hear for sure where the "chattering is coming from.

the chattering is from my old IBM Aptiva computer, now in the basement for special programs only.

the fan noise is from my new DIY computer, Coolermaster Cav3 case and stock fans 80mm front and 120mm rear. i don't know what the cfu and dB on the stock rear fan are - i'm reluctant to swap out for a new fan without knowing how much cfu i am giving up for a quieter fan.

two diff systems, sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back