Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Issues 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jisoo22

Programmer
Apr 30, 2001
US
Hello all,

I have a problem with one of my hard drives. The other day while trying to defrag it, the Windows disk defragger says there are errors on the hard drive and needs to be fixed. So I run ScanDisk (on the thorough setting) and it comes out clean. Could this be bad sectors or a virus? Ran Norton Antivirus with all the latest definitions and that came up clean too. Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,
Jisoo22

I got the same message too the other day. I think that it is a bug in the system. It thinks there are errors, but there aren't, I too ran thorough scandisk and it came up clean, same with Norton, and then defrag worked. [cheers]
Nate

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!

Don't worry about that small stuff. Scandisk will take care of you in those situations and whatever was wrong is corrected.

Now if you're actually experiencing some problems with your system, such as rather frequent lockups, Windows stating there is problems with the registry, or if Windows comes at you with a read/write error message, this is when to worry and to seriously look into the situation.

For what small errors scandisk detects, it's probably something like a file with a misreported size, couple lost clusters, directory structure just shy of perfection. Just little stuff that's easily fixed, nothing to get worked up over.

Scandisk, yes it can sort out a lot of basic H/D problems but if you think that your still having trouble after running it then its time you bring out Norton Utilities (DiskDoctor) and scan your H/D with that funky little tool!
I find it can fix problems on my PC when i didn'nt even think i had any!!!

Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestions, much appreciated. I wouldn't use DiskDoctor if my life depended on it though, it deletes vital .DLL files that Windows needs to run. I have run into some stability issues recently though, starting a week before I ran the disk defragmenter and got the error message. Anyone know if this warrants a hard drive replacement?

Thanks,
Jisoo22

There is another program for drive checking, called ScanRite. I bought my copy a few years age. It does everything scandisk is supposed to do and more. It even reclaims sectors that other programs falsely label as bad.

T. L. Hicks

are you crazy norton utilities is a very good program that allows you to choose what .dll's are being removed. It heps clean out old dll's for old things. Just make sure that you knw what you are clicking on before you delete it. You sound like an intellegent person that knows what they are doing just make sure that you take the time to read what files need to be repaired with disk doctor and select the ones that you know is a safe call. Make sue that you dont tell disk doctor to fix the problems automaticaly that could be where you run into some problems. you should really give norton another shot system works 2002 really impressed me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back