Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Issue..

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrMelloD

Technical User
Apr 18, 2002
US
Hi Guys...

My problem is...I installed a old drive to my machine to extract some file
to one of my current hard drives. Worked fine on that part and then removed
it, but now the old drive has placed it settings and files on one of my
drives like a mirror image and I cannot see my original files that where on there anymore. It
also reads now under My computer as a 1.8gig drive and it's not that.. It's
really a 30gig drive.

I have XP and it says something about my msdos.sys file was corrupted..I
took a good copy from
another pc and inserted it and that didn't work for me. Is there any
solutions to make my drive go back to it's original files & settings.

When you say you extracted "some files to one of your current hard drives", what kind of files and to what directory on your "current hard drive"? Were these system files?

Sounds like you were overwriting system files in XP that you "extracted" from the old hard drive. If this is the case, you've probably corrupted more than just msdos.sys.

What OS did you have on the old hard drive? Win95? That would explain why it "thinks" you only have a 1.8 GB drive. What to do next will depend on your answers...

~cdogg

Ok..I extracted just the data files from the that old drive. Word execel and jpegs... This is what i have as hardware: 1 20gig WD primary on IDE, 2 30gig Maxtors on a scsi raid controller. I copyed the files to the Primary drive and now it over wrote one of the 30gig drives with its files..But the files are are not physically there..it's like a ghost of a image. I have partition magic and it says i have a 30gig drive, but in XP it says i have a 1.8gig drive. Really crazy..

Copying the files would not have overwritten the partition table, which determines drive size, so it sounds like you used more that just copy or xcopy.

Perhaps you would give some further information on how you did the transfer? In detail, preferably.

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

What was the partition format on the "old" drive? And did you use that drive W/ a different OS than XP. Any chance your partitions are "overlayed?" that happens on some of the crappy MS operating systems, like ME, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back