Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

pjpatrick2194

Technical User
Sep 15, 2007
US
can someone help me with my computer...My computer makes a loud rotating noise when its on....it shuts off by its self...It also seems to lock up...Now it wont fire up anymore and the light on the tower is on

Have you opened the computer to make sure fans are all moving? Also hard drive could have died. As the sounds you describe are either coming from a fan or the hard drive.

Unplug the computer, press and hold power button for 5-10 seconds till all lights go off. Then plug it back in and try turning it on. Count the seconds it stays on before it shuts off. Im guessing it will be around 2-5 seconds.

There is a point in wisdom and knowledge that when you reach it, you exceed what is considered possible - Jason Schoon

Do you get any error messages? Does the noise sound like metallic grinding? From what you have stated, sounds to me like you may have a damaged hard drive. try changing the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back