Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Full but it should'nt be!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

joepalm

Technical User
May 28, 2001
NZ
I have a strange problem, I have a 40GB Hard Disk on my XP PC, I only have a few progams loaded and but under disk properties I only have 1GB of space left, I only have one partition.

I opened up Add/Remove programs and most of the programs report over 500mb in size which is incorrect. Has anyone had this problem before, I think XP is reporting incorrect disk usage.

Thanks
JP

Here's something you can check.

At Windows Explorer, go to TOOLS --> FOLDER OPTIONS --> VIEW and under
HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS, check SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS.

Then, Check the size of the following 2 files.

pagefile.sys
hiberfile.sys (there might not be one)

Also, check your Temp folder under Documents and Settings.

Look at the System Restore settings, this is a massive hog, you can turn it off if need be:
Control Panel-->System Restore.

Also run Scandisk, you could have allocation errors.
--Jim

A worthy read:
As noted above, check your Restore Points. Also check:

. Aborted Bootvis.exe sessions can lead to hugh log files;
. Performance counters can add surprisingly large log files;
. Disk cleanup with options can help.

Member linney has often recommended the use of this tool to visualize where all the space went. It is excellent and comes with a thirdy-day trial:

Search for *.dmp.....as well.....I find some extremely large dumps, occasionally.........

I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand.
Confucius

Thanks for the replies everyone, I do have access to the computer until next week, I will let you know hoe I get on.

Regards
JP

Have you tried running ChkDsk to check your drive for errors. Right click your Drive icon/ Properties/ Tools/ Error Checking. Tick both boxes.

something is cosuming the hard drive freespace
thread779-810374

Where is my disk space?
thread779-719423

Delete Offline Flies
thread779-816712

316505 - Windows XP Does Not Recognize All Available Disk Space

How to Locate and Correct Disk Space Problems on NTFS Volumes in Windows XP(Q315668)

The Default Cluster Size for the NTFS and FAT File Systems(Q314878)

Hard Drive Space Monster
thread779-832784

I tried most of the suggestions from above and had no luck, but I did stumble accross a Windows backup file, someone had been backing almost everything in Windows, when I deleted the backup file my diskspace returned.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back