Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive errors 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

kell3625

Programmer
Jan 6, 2001
US
Okay I did not do anything to my computer it was on during a rain storm but it was just drizzling.. my modem made some freaky noises and froze up so i rebooted and this is the message i got: "Warning: Dell's Disk Monitoring System has detected that drive 0 on the primary eide controller is operating outside of normal specifications. it is advisable to immediatly back up your data and replace your hard-disk drive by calling your support desk or Dell Computer Corporation Strike the f1 key to continue, f2 to run setup utility" and in setup utility the hard disk drive 0 is set to auto.. thanks for anyones help it will be much appreciated.. oh and i rebooted again just to make sure and the same message came up but when i hit f1 to continue i just go to windows and i have winMe. ok thanks =)

Sounds like your hdd may be on the way out. Like it says, back up all vital data immediately. I would run a full scandisk as soon as possible, if it finds more than a minimal number of bad sectors replace the hdd. It is best to run scandisk from safe mode and make sure there are no other applications running in the background otherwise it may not complete. All things are possible except skiing through a revolving door.

sorry, but it doesn't sound good--chances are, that the noise you heard was the hard drive and not the modem. They can make some noise when they go, especially if the head 'crashes' against the platter. A fried modem wouldn't have anything to do with your HD as far as I know. Unless a heavy spike came thru the telephone line and fried the modem along with the rest of the motherboard. But I'm sure you'd be aware of this happening and smell that burnt electrical smell. I think the light rain was just a coincidence.

since you said that you can get to windows, I would save everything you possibly can if have a burner or zip/jaz drive. Even to floppy if that's all you have. When you get that warning, failure is usually very close at hand. (Kind of like an oil light on a car. They don't come on until there's less than a quart of oil left and you're engine is almost seized up.)

You might try running a surface scan on the disk to verify the message, but this might stress out what life the drive has left in it. The first thing I would do would be to save anything that you need and think about a new HD.

Did you confirm that your modem is not working ?

And just a note to anyone that doesn't know this; never move your computer while it's powered up. Or move it very very gently if you must.

i checked the modem and it's fine *i'm on the bad computer now..* i'm downloading that whatever thing that tests and i'll run scandisk after that.. this could be for the best cause my hdd sucked anywayz 2gb.. now i'll get one with alot more.. so it could be a good thing =) thanks for the help i'll let you know what shows up.. thanks

another thing.. if i get a new hdd then does that mean i need drivers for my cdrom and a: i haven't before even when i formatted and put winme..

you can look at the driver by going to the control panel and attempting to change the driver and it will say what the driver is. Usually win98 or winME bootdisk has a cdrom driver on it for the install. You will also need sound card drivers, modem drivers, video Card drivers, Monitor Drivers, etc. If you use pretty normal stuff, it is all in windows. If you do not like my post feel free to point out your opinion or my errors.

Hi Kell, keep in mind that you'll probably have to update (flash) your bios to install anything larger than an 8GB drive.

i ran that fitness program and it said smart operations enabled and status bad.. it also said that a problem was detected on a non ibm disk drive disposition code=0x72 to upgrade bios can't i just download a new one from a website? and how would i know which one i need.. and would a bootup disk work ok for the drivers for everything? sorry i sound so naive its just not my area..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back