Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard drive displaying incorrect

Status
Not open for further replies.

George54

MIS
Nov 4, 2002
GB
I have just formatted a maxtor 40 gig drive using the NTFS File system however i have upgraded to a larger drive and now i wish to use the 40 gig drive on another system, My problem is i have used a win98 boot disk to change the opeating system and ran FDISK to clean the drive ready for windows 98 se operating system for my daughter.Now my drive is only showing 8 gigs instead of the 40 gig. i didnot delete the dos systems in the correct order and now i am totally baffled as to what i may of done.
the display is
PARTITION STATUS TYPE VOL MBYTES SYS USAGE
C:1 A PRI DOS 8025 FAT32 100%
Can i recover the drive back to 40gig or is all lost

bios limitation? do i have to go into setup or change jumpers?

First:
Make sure LBA mode is enabled in the BIOS in the HDD section for the disk.

Second:
You can also try to set the HDD with the drive parameters insted of having it in AUTO .
Drive parameters should be printed on the HDD's label .

Third:
Goto the manufacturers web site and
see if there is a updated BIOS for your motherboard.

SYAR

its a old board only 120 mhz packard bell system, i was able to get win98 running on it. Unfortunatly it cannot get onto the web (my daughter is too young for this at the moment) so eveerything has to be done by cd-rom.
can i put the bios update (if there is one) on cd and install..?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back