Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard drive dead? data recovery needed? help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wuhair

IS-IT--Management
Mar 9, 2003
US
I have a IBM deskstar 75gxp 60gb model #dtl-307060.

I was going to install a fresh copy of WinXP. Before doing so I ran IBM drive fitness test, everything checked out okay.

Upon installing WinXP, during the dos portion of the setup XP recognized the drive but did not recognize the previous partition/format (I was using windows 2000).

I decided to quit the setup and back up my files to my brothers computer so i could let XP reformat/repartition the drive.

When i brought it over to my bothers computer (running winxp) his bios did not recognize the hd. Then when i brought it back to mine, it did not recognize either. I tried everything, cables, jumpers, disconnecting everything but that drive etc. nothing works.

The drive still spins though. So I heard that Winxp can access hard drives even if bios doesn't. So i'm wonding if somehow xp messed up my bios from auto detecting my hd or if some how i static shocked the HD contoller board.

Also are there any other 3rd party programs i can use that can access the hard drive if the bios does not? thanks just trying last possiblities before shelling out $400 for data recovery service.

xp can access drives which are 'turned off' in the bios (ie, IDE slot is set to none) - but you're saying the bios won't recognise the drive - which sounds like its been damaged moving between machines. When in in your brother's machine, did you try to view it from explorer (despite no bios)? Mind you - if 2 bioses are not seeing it - I think its likely dead.

You may need to update the bios if they are old mother boards. If the latests bios's for these boards still doesn't support a drive that size go here and download the Disk Manager 2000 (v9.61). Don't be afraid that the sight is Hitachi. IBM has them taking care of their hard drive stuff now

The drive does now show up on my bothers xp computer either.

I tried updating bios and using IBM software, nothing works so far. any other suggestions?

thanks

Did you try an run DFT IBM utility again, I had a IBM 75Gxp 45GB 30745 and it quit on me after I tried to reboot and it would not see the drv(was working fine until that reboot). 75Gxp hddrv have a bad tract record.I sent mine drv back and rec a 60GB replacement.Was glad it was not 75Gxp mod.
Does sound like your drive went south...

You might try using Norton's Ghost. We use Ghost to recover bad drives here and with the correct switches, it usually will recover everything. The "bad" drive has to be made a slave to a WORKING master in order for ghost to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back