Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Data Recovery 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

macoop

ISP
Jun 21, 2003
US
Turned computer on, heard a pop and saw a flash. Hard drive can not be recognized even with an external power source. Blew out my hard drive, video card and power supply. All has been replaced, but would like referral to anyone who would like to try and retrieve the data on the bad hard drive. Can't afford to try the professionals. It's a Maxtor, 30GB, but very small amount of space used. Not sure what other info is needed for a reply. Thankx macoop

If the hard drive isnt being detected by the BIOS on bootup then you need fairly advanced facilities to attempt a recovery - beyond the scope of most repair shops / businesses. To test the drive try plugging it in on your secondary cable by disconnecting any CD-ROMs etc..., this will allow it to be master on the secondary cable without any conflicts with the booting drive. Also try it with a slave CD-ROM as well as I have seen some hard drives that require a slave if the hard drive jumpers are in std "master" position. If it cant be seen after all this then I would have to say that professional recovery would be your most likely chance.

Peter G

One possible solution is to buy an exact duplicate drive and use the controller card off the duplicate. But there is also the possibility you'll have 2 bad drives after trying it.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

The drive is probably fried from the controller to the internal heads, try they are good at recovering data and will no doubt be cheaper than alot of the other rip offs...

A couple of years ago, I came in to find my machine not working. Went out and bought and installed new power supply, new supply immediately failed.
Took computer into local repair shop. Harddrive, video card and power supply were all bad. They happened to have a harddrive tech that could do repairs at circuit board level. He found an obviously burned part on the circuit board and replaced it which enabled them to get harddrive up and get my data off. It seems like the cost was $100-$200.
May or may not be applicable to your situation.

I have an old Omnibook 2100 (Pentium w/MMX -200Mgz) with 2.1 GIG which had come with Windows NT 4.0 Workstation Service Pack 3(1381)with no modem installed. The ditacheable CD is a read only type and also came with floppy drive.
This is the problem that I have at moment I had bought a Xircom RealPort modem that I have not been able to install correctly on this system. Also I had bought a Kangaroo 80Gig external hard drive and successfully backed all the applications into this drive.
Unfortunately, I have not been able to update the operating system since SP3 nor even re-install a working SP3 so that I can update the BIOS online. I have new copies of NT 4.0 up until 6a from Microsoft but has not been successfull installing a working OS because the HAL.dll is/was corrupted or the win32kr(something).dll, Shell.dll or shell32.dll is corrupted or cannot be copied. Even when I have downloaded BIOS files from microsoft they are cannot be read by the CD driver perhaps because of a lack of updated BIOS or I do not think the files that I download are in compressed format and the CD cannot read this.
Is there a place that have these drivers in an un-compressed format that I can buy and install these myself or any other alternate solution to my dilema(sp)

anuohia,
You would be better served by starting a new thread.
Many of you potential helpers will see this thread with 4 stars and assume that the problem is solved and ignore it and your problem.
But I will suggest that you could transfer the CD stuff to you hard drive by using an adapter and putting your laptop hard drive in another machine for the duration of the copy.

Ed Fair
Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply. Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back