Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Config. 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JLHobby1

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
Hello,
I have a Netfinity 5500 8660-11U running Win 2000 server, 2x 9.1 HDD, 1g ram. The second HDD drive isn't operating, according to diagnostics it's fine but on my disk management it's not showing. From what I understand from an old thread is that I need to configure the array and to that I need to create a configuration disk. I went to IBM and can't seem to find this download. Can anyone help me with this and set me in the right direction to locate the download or is there another way to do the configuration?????

jl

The Netfinity 5500 has a built in RAID Controller, so there is no way to run the system without RAID configured. You most likely have a RAID 1 (mirrored) configuration which would present 1 9GB disk to the Operating System. If you see the disk size as 18GB in the OS, it means your logical drive is running RAID 0 (no redundancy). In a hardware RAID solution, the physical disks are not presented to the OS, the logical drives configured show up as physical disks in the OS.

Hello,
It is configured RAID 1, but it only shows up on the os as 9.1 gb (only one physical disk). At this point of my intro to my server I don't need it to be mirrored and in the future it possibly will. So I did find the ServeRAID 7.0 CD image on IBM and downloaded so I do have it now. In order to configure the RAID to 0 I presume I will need to utilize the CD, (which seems pretty self explanatory). If this is the correct path I am on please let me know---- In past and advance--- Thank You catorze!!!

jl

If it is raid1, it will only show up in disk management as 1 single disk. That is because it is hardware raid so the OS sees the Logical drive, not the physical drives. Same thing if you had 5 physical drives in a raid 5 array and one logical drive then the OS would just see the logigal drive and not the 5 physical drives.

So if I understand this correctly my raid controller is and always will be RAID 1 level which means that I cannot make it raid 0. Then there is no other way to achive more "actual" storage space since the second drive is for mirroring--- unless I add more HDD's....?????

jl

You can boot to a servraid manager CD and delete your array and create a new one with raid 0 if you like but you lose all your data and would have to restore from backup. Of course with a raid 0 if you lost a hard drive you also lose all or your data since there is no redundancy.

Thanks ibmtech65..... That was exactly what I was looking for in regards to this question. Now to decided what I have to do. (funny since just today my primary drive went defunct!!!)

jl

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back