Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive compatability Dell PERC5/i

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRAIG2432

Technical User
Jan 23, 2007
GB
Hello.

Can anyone answer a simple question.

I am just ordering a new Server from Dell a 1900 with an extra PERC5/i raid controller card.

I have had Dell send me the manual but I am left with one question. I am not buying the hard drives from dell. I have loads of new 160gig SATA II hard drive in the office.

Dell have informed me that the Perc5/i card will only support some SATA II hard drives. But they will not tell me which, can any one help me out please.

Thanks

I know our 1900\2900 ship with Hitachi drives.
Do you have the connector kit with rails? How were you going to install the drives.? As long as they are SataII drives the connector should work with the PERC 5i

I was going to use Western Digital Sata II 160Gig, just because we have several spare.

Dose the connector kit not come with the Perc 5i?

Are the rails for fixing the drives into the server??

If you could clear these points that would be a massive help.

Thanks

I'm getting a 1900 in a couple of days and i'm doing exactly the same as you.

I had a 1900 a couple of months back and they came with standard Seagate Baracuda hard disks so i don't see what the problem would be.

I think that the Dell person you spoke to was mistaken. If you stick to the main brands like WD you will be fine.

My 1900 has just arrived and the my 2x 80Gb for the OS are Western Digital, WD800JD, Caviar SE.

The only thing you might need to get is a second cable from the raid card to the drives. Mine came with 2 spare cables but i need another. I'll be testing it with other SATA disks ion a few days and i'll let you know how it goes. I suspect it will be fine though.

Chhers for the posts. PaulGillespie, I would be intrested to hear how your tests with other drives go. Cheers

Craig,
Tested it with a standard Maxtor DiamondMax (Manufactured by Seagate though) and it was fine. I'll be ordering my WD disks in the next couple of days.

Paul

Seagate Galaxy 250G sataII
WD Unicorn SATA II 80G
Western Digital 250G SATAII
WD Hawk ES SATA II 160GB
WD ZEUS ES SATA II 500GB Hard drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back