Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Drive Clicking and slowing processing

Status
Not open for further replies.

tls9923

Technical User
Aug 7, 2002
US
I have a Win 98 Machine with a 80 Gig hard drive about 17 Gig Free. I am now having a problem with the drive clicking and slowing active processes. I have ran scandisk found nothing I have ran Norton 2002 NDD and found nothing. When I boot I am getting a message about bad sectors on the drive and to run scandisk now but when I hit a key it errors and boots up. Sometimes the drive will not softrest and I have to power down to get the computer to reboot any ideas??

Thanks

Terrel

Get to the store and get another hard-drive today. You're about to lose that one and everything on it. (But you knew that, didn't you)? Let the backups commence.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Yes, stop running scandisk, backup, backup, backup!!! If you're not ready to backup, shut off that drive immediately, its lifespan may soon come to an end.

Matt J.

A hard Drive is not suppose to make any unusual sounds. Especially clicking or clunking!!!

Take Tony's and Matt's advice. Backup up any critical data NOW!!!! You may want to run diagnostics available from the HD maker's site.

If the drive is still under warranty definitely take it back.

Yes, get a new drive. NOW! That clicking is the drive SEEKing something it can't find! You don't know how long it's got left. Already you're probably losing some of the data. ScanDisk does not catch all failing drive issues. In fact I have a drive sitting on my desk that even the manufacturer's downloaded program declared "fixed", but when "tested" again, said it needed fixing again and again... Unfortunately, it was a drive out of a branded computer. Even though it was made back in the good old days when all drives had 3 years warranty, the manufacturer says the drive is the brandname's responsibility which naturally only had a 1 year warranty which already expired...

Your HDD is on the way out. Back up the important data and get a new drive. OR, get a new drive, install it as the master, format, and load the OS. Make this one the slave, then copy to the new drive all of the important data. Format old drive, remove, and make it a paperweight, boat ancor, etc. :)

This thread's dead, much like the hard drive in question.

...Mac

Humpty Dumpty was pushed!!

Hard drives don't make good boat anchors. I tried it one time, and woke up the next day somewhere in the Alantic.

:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back