Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard disk problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

mistanapesis

Programmer
Mar 3, 2002
GB
My friend has a 400mhz Pentium, which he has just bought. The problem is after partitioning and formatting the drive(Samsung 4.3gb) while trying to install windows 98se an error message comes up saying "Change the stacks setting in your config.sys file, and then try again". I took out the drive and put it in my own machine(AMD XP2800+ 512mb ram) which runs just fine and it did the same thing there too which I have never had with any hard disk before. I know microsoft has a knowlege based article on this. But can any one explain more fully? All help will be very much appreciated. Im puzzled.

If your unsure....Dont do it!

And is the install from the CD or started from a floppy?

Ed Fair
Give the wrong symptoms, get the wrong solutions.

Ok here goes...The drive was fat32...so i used win98se to partiton and format at first(deleteting all partitions first)using fdisk...all went well...rebooted formatted the drive then tried installing win98se...problem came up about 14-17% through. So not bieng defeated easily I booted from my xp disk, formatted using that and still stopped...same. I`m begining to think the hard disk is wasted.
Wolluf the KB article I was meaning is

If your unsure....Dont do it!

disable the boot sector virus control in the bios
boot from the win98 floppy and type" /fdisk /mbr "
You may have a boot sector virus which is stopping you or the boot virus detection in the bios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back