Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard Disk cloning with XP Home

Status
Not open for further replies.

abassoli

Technical User
Jul 23, 2006
Hello, friends,
thanks for reading.
I have a AMD Sempron 3000 system with a 40Gb HD, running XP Home Service Pack 2. Recently I bouth a 120Gb HD and would like to continue with the exact same system and files, transfering everything I have to the new HD and having more space... How can I do this?
Thank you very much for your help.
ARNALDO BASSOLI

Get hold of a copy of Ghost (symantec) and do a disk to disk clone. Make sure your BIOS recognises the full 120Gb first tho, as ghost will automatically adjust the partition size to the maximum capacity as seen in the BIOS.

Also remeber to mark the partition as active after cloning :)

wn i gro up i wna b a typo

Thank you for your answer... but please, tell me, how do I set that partition as active? :)
ARNALDO

You probably don't need to buy Ghost - the drive manufacturer for the new drive will probably have a utility on their website which will allow you to clone old to new drive. This should include making the new drive's partition active. If it doesn't (sometimes cloning doesn't), you could boot from win98 boot floppy and use fdisk to set it active (one method).

Note. After doing the clone, if you want new drive to act exactly as old, DISCONNECT the old drive before you boot from the new one. If you boot with both connected you'll get drive letter problems (at least).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back