Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hard disk churning and I don't know why ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

redmike

Technical User
Feb 25, 2002
IL
W2k Toshiba Satellite 300Mhz

Seems like once a week at the same time there is a long period (an hour or so) of hard disk activity and I don't know why.

Checked task manager and there are no applications running. Checked the firewall (Sygate) and there is no internet activity. Checked task mangager and there is nothing scheduled.

Any help would be appreciated,

thanks,

Michael

If you did check the Sygate traffic log and there is no windows or AV upgrade, it may be virual memory caching.

I think that it's the virtual memory caching although this seems like a long time to me, but then this is not an area that I know much about.

Is there somewhere that I can change the scheduling of this (or stop it at a particular time ?)

thanks for the help.

Mike

Virus scanning? May not show up in Task Manager Applications tab - may have to look under Processes tab.

Newposter
"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment."

Sounds like corruption of some files on the disk. Did the machine crash any time recently while working in a program? I've seen this problem many times and it's usually due to file corruption. Try running check disk.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

Sounds to me like your running a weekly full system virus scan.

I'm Certifiable, not certified.
It just means my answers are from experience, not a book.

Sorry I misread the part about once a week at the same time. Yes, it seems like some taks is scheduled to run at that particular time.

Steven S.
MCSA
A+, Network+, Server+, i-Net+

virus scan.

when it happens hit <ctrl> <shift> <esc>, then go to processes and see what is running.

I've had the same problem and it was a virus scan running once a week. In Processes I think the file was called RTVSCAN

thanks for the responses !

3 days ago I went to start/settings/control panel/add and remove programs/add remove windows components/ and unchecked (removed) the indexing service and this seems to have solved my problem.

I did previously check if anything was scheduled or running and nothing showed up.

Seems like "find fast" has been disabled by removing the indexing services.

I have been told that I won't notice any (negative) differences after disabling it.

We'll see :)

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back