Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hard dirve that sounds like a jet engine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bickfordc

Vendor
Feb 25, 2003
US
I just bought two new athlon computers with 80GB Hard drives and one runs quite like a mouse fan and the other sounds like an old freezer with the constant humming sound. At first I thought it may be the processor, however after removing panel learned that it was infact the HD. I have tried rebooting as well as letting it sit off overnight, however nothing is helping it. It ran quite for the first week and now is has become a nusiance. It sound like what old computers use to sound like. Any comments?

Comment: Get the HDD swapped out as the machine is new. You can expect the drive to get noisy over time (years) as the bearings wear out, but not in a week - that is rapid deteriation, and I would not expect the drive to last long.

Usually people leave cds in the cd-rom or cd-r drive and forget that there there. If your operating system has auto insert notification on, the computer may be trying to read from the cd any .exe's that might be on it.

I'm not saying that this is the case with you, but if the cd-rom is right near the hard drive, then it might sound like its coming from somewhere it isn't.

All I'm saying is check to make sure there is no cd in the drive. You'd be surprised.

I just bought two new athlon computers with 80GB Hard drives and one runs quite like a mouse fan and the other sounds like an old freezer with the constant humming sound. At first I thought it may be the processor, however after removing panel learned that it was infact the HD. I have tried rebooting as well as letting it sit off overnight, however nothing is helping it. It ran quite for the first week and now is has become a nusiance. It sound like what old computers use to sound like. Any comments?

If it is NEW , bring it BACK!!!! Whoever you bought it from can deal with it.

Something is not right, and should be a warranty issue

This is correct, if its a new hard drive and it sounds bad get them to replace it.

As for the CDROM, there are quite a lot of 52x "max" drives about which really do just sound like they are going to take off. Access times will vary depending on the drive model but if it's a cheap and cheerful drive then its most likely not faulty if you can still read the information off the disks.

That said, if it used to be quiet and only now makes that noise it could be on the way out.

The original thread is about Hard Drives by my understanding. If you can't get it replace under warranty try this to determine if indeed it is the Hard Drive. This may seem unorthodox but it is a fine diagnostic step. Remove the hard drive and place it in a sealed plastic bag such as a Zip-Loc bag. Then put it in the freezer overnight. Remove it from the bag and reinstall as quickly as possible. Boot up and see if the noise is still there. If it is not and then gradually comes back as the drive warms up then it is a hardware problem such as the spindle or bearings. It will surely not last very long.

bickfordc, since your hard drive is machine noises it is a mechanical one - not something you can really fix yourself.

So in my opinion you have 3 real choices:

1) Replace the drive under warranty.
2) Wait for the drive to stop working completely and then replace.
3) Buy a new drive and throw the old one away.

out of curiosity...have you checked to see if the hard drive is mounted properly in the case...I have seen instances where a hum came from screws not tightened properly. Also, check your warranty on the hard drive...work with the people you bought the computers from...were they mail order or can you take them back to show the difference...any computer store worth its reputation will fix the problem for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back