Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Happy New Year 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

CajunCenturion

Programmer
Mar 4, 2002
US
Happy New Year everyone !!
[cheers]

Shall we call it "twenty-ten" or "two thousand ten"?

--------------
Good Luck
To get the most from your Tek-Tips experience, please read
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Two thousand ten... fine with me... both in English and German usage...

twenty ten... fine with me, in English usage, in Germany everyone would look at you funny saying "Zwanzig-Zehn", unless you are talking about 2 feet, ergo 20 toes, but then again that would be "Zwanzig Zehen"...

2k X... tells me two thousand Xes... when one uses Roman Numerals then go with them all the way, e.g. MMX

and who ever uses O-Ten, in anything but the Daytime 12:10 am, mil-speak its either 0010 hours, or O-ten, ought to be put into a stockade and be punished by people throw foul tomatoes at them...

Ben
"If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer..."
How to ask a question, when posting them to a professional forum.
Only ask questions with yes/no answers if you want "yes" or "no"

I really don't care what you all call it. I just wish you a happy one [afro2]

I'm on the two thousand side with no ands. (If or buts either). Two thousand ten works just fine for me. I would even consider twenty ten except that next year twenty eleven will sound funny while two thousand eleven will still be fine. The real truth, though, is I will probably just follow along with whatever becomes predominant at work.

However, I do need to know if this is indeed a new decade or the last year of the old one - I hate to be a smart-alec with my friends and be wrong.

I thought the decade started with 01 so this is the last year of it. But maybe that only works on millenia.

Cool Hand Luke said:
"Dyin'? Boy, He can have this little life any time He wants to. Do Ya hear that? Are ya hearin' it? Come on. You're welcome to it, Ol' Timer. Let me know You're up there. Come on. Love me, hate me, kill me, anything. Just let me know it... I'm just standin' in the rain talkin' to myself."

==> However, I do need to know if this is indeed a new decade or the last year of the old one - I hate to be a smart-alec with my friends and be wrong.
Well, that all depends on what you mean by decade. A decade is simply a period of ten consecutive years. There is no defined starting point of any given decade.

However, in context, a decade can be more specific. If you're talking about the decade of the 90s for example, then you're talking about 1990 through 1999. However, if you specifically mean the 201st decade of the common era, then you're referring to the years 2001 through 2010. This year (2010) is the start of the decade of the "twenty-tens" (or whatever it comes to be know as), but it's the last year of the 201st decade of the common era.

The same applies with centuries, which is simply a period of 100 consecutive years. Only in context does it become a specific range of years. The century of the 1900s are 1900 through 1999, but the 20th Century is 1901 through 2000.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886
As a circle of light increases so does the circumference of darkness around it. - Albert Einstein

Happy New Year to all!
Resolution #1 Do not make any resolutions, Check!
2010 is the last of the first decade of the century.
Thus, next year we will have a 21st decade begin.
Is "twenty-ten" a police code for something?
How about: Two-oh-one-oh?

"Impatience will reward you with dissatisfaction" RMS Cosmics'97

I think leaving out the "and" is another one of those New World things... to my UK English ears it sounds lazy. :)

Annihilannic.

I can take two thousand ten or twenty ten but not oh-ten. AS far as the decade goes,we start counting things at 1. You never have apple 0 of 3 (unless you're a C programmer ;)). That means, for me, the decade started in 2001 and ends in 2010.

May this new year be kind to you all and I vote for 2k10 as an abbreviation for describing thinks like the new dot net but as for common speach, I do not agree with the and because it is not 20.10 unless that is tax included... :)

I usually just put 2010. [wink]

--

"If to err is human, then I must be some kind of human!" -Me

Happy two thousand ten everyone. I don't post anything lately but I still enjoy reading your posts, it is a fun way to learn.

==> 2010 is the last of the first decade of the century.
2010 may be the last year of the first decade of the 21st Century; however, 2010 is also the first year of the second decade of the 2000s.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

CajunCenturion said:
2010 may be the last year of the first decade of the 21st Century; however, 2010 is also the first year of the second decade of the 2000s.

Are you running for office? [2thumbsup]

Greg
People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use. Kierkegaard

Me, run for office? Not in this year, decade, nor century.

--------------
Good Luck
FAQ181-2886

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back