Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hangs when shutting down at a blank screen before the shut down screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

firsthart

IS-IT--Management
Jan 28, 2000
US
When shutting down my Dell Inspiron 7500 with windows 98, it started hanging at a blank screen right before the shut down screen. If I shut down right after it boots, it will shut down correctly. It appears that after starting any program, it hangs when shutting down.

Try closing down any background programs that may be running before shutting down and see if that helps.<br><br>If it does, kill each program individually and try rebooting until you find the culprit.<br><br>I have a program called 'WorkGroupMail' (an excellent MailServer for Win98 - <A HREF=" TARGET="_new"> and it's background process 'Wmc' sometimes makes my system hang, so I always make sure I kill it before shutting down. <p>ahdkaw<br><a href=mailto:ahdkaw@sensibilium.com>ahdkaw@sensibilium.com</a><br><a href= you do visit my sites - be warned! You must be of a discordian nature...'

Are you running McAfee's Virusscan?&nbsp;&nbsp;I have been having an issue with a toshiba laptop also running Windows 98 SE.&nbsp;&nbsp;I removed McAfee's an it now has no issues whatsoever.&nbsp;&nbsp;Now I just need to figure out what I can do for virus protection.

Use Norton, or AvP. They're usally the best ones, even tho they cost money, Mcaffee I think is free, but they're one of the worst ones, no matter how many viruses they say they can detect. <p>Karl<br><a href=mailto:kb244@kb244.8m.com>kb244@kb244.8m.com</a><br><a href= </a><br>Experienced in , or have messed with : VC++, Borland C++ Builder, VJ++6(starting),VB-Dos, VB1 thru VB6, Delphi 3 pro, Borland C++ 3(DOS), Borland C++ 4.5, HTML,Visual InterDev 6, ASP(WebProgramming), QBasic(least i didnt start with COBOL)

Thank all of you for your help. I used the old divide and conquer method of deciding which programs to remove from memory before shutting down. I found that a program call Attune (which automates the process of obtaining program updates) was still trying to process. I removed it, rebooted, then shut down. It shut down correct. Then I reinstalled Attune and it still shuts down correct. I think one of the update threads get corrupted. It is now working correctly.<br><br>Thank you for all your help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back