Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hangs at boot when USB external drive plugged in

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiteTornado

Technical User
Jul 24, 2002
CA
Hi,

This is an MSI 850 Pro5 mobo with 256 Rambus, with Win2k. I just re-installed everything and while all seems operational, there is one issue remaining, which I actually have ran into in the past with other systems, but never found what was going on. When the 40GB external USB Maxtor HDD is plugged in, and I try to start ot restart the system hangs up, will not make it to the ide detection step.

I was told this is something particular with Windows 2000. It might be, but this is no solution, I always tend to beleive that there is a fix for these things!

Thanks.

Marcel

Is the external drive "jumpered" properly? Look in fdisk and see if it is set as "active". Your system may be trying to "boot" from both drives at the same time.

Hi and tks! I know that Legacy USB is not activated, the drive is jumpered as master within the USB enclosure. It is likely trying to boot from it as you say - I will get to see that machine in a few weeks now, I will check with FDISK, this is qa good idea.

Cheers

MC

I found a known issues article on the MS site regarding that while troubleshooting a camera for a company a while ago. This will give you a place to start.

If I can find it again I will post the link. I linked to it off the HP site.

Good Luck!

Before you post a question, use the search features of the site to see if your issue was previously addressed in a thread or FAQ.
For the best answers, post as many specific details as possible. Our answers are based on the information provided.

Turn off USB 2.0 Legacy BIOS support in the computer's BIOS Setup utility.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back