Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hangs at applying security policy screen

Status
Not open for further replies.

flouie

MIS
Jul 18, 2002
US
Has anyone experience this problem with Win2K hanging at the 'Applying Security Policy' screen? We started to get alot of these ever since we upgrade the DC's from NT4 to W2K. The way we are getting around the problem is doing a hard power off of the desktop, unplug it from the network, boot up normally, log-in into windows and shut it back down, replug the network cable, and it boots up and logs in fine.

Did you upgrade the same PC's from NT4 to W2k or was it a fresh install?

If you did an upgrade, I would say that was the cause of the problem as I would never trust an upgrade (especially from NT4) to W2k in a business environment. 9 times out of 10, there are problems upgrading like this.

I would recommend finding a test Desktop and doing a fresh install of W2K and testing that.

They were fresh installs and you're right we would never trust an upgrade either.

We tested on many test desktop with nothing but a clean install of W2K on it and it also happens on them. The thing is that it's not all the time and it's not at any particular time of the day either.

We think it might be a network problem somewhere but our network team swears that their network is 100% perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back