Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hanging at User Logon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacquiw

IS-IT--Management
Nov 6, 2002
GB
Hi All

Friday night all was well with my network,this morning some, not all, of my w2k users get as far as alt ctrl del entering user name & password. The screen says applying personal settings then goes blue with either the hour glass or just the arrow.

Logging on in safe mode is okay. Logging on to local machine won't work either. The only thing that will allow a log on is my master system administrator user.

I have Symantec 9.0 running.
I have restarted server
I have removed logon bat files
I have removed user profiles from local machines and nothing has worked

I am really stuck with this one.

sounds like your wks cant find the server - ive seen this when the dns server entry in dhcp gets corrupted or lost.

check your scopes and that you can ping your dns servers from an affected wks, also check your ldap entries

Twas a little virus that one of my users forgot to mention he had when he logged on this morning.

Had to disable Norton.
Download all updates (just to make sure)
Run virus removal
Log on and off a couple of times once it was clean and hey presto it worked

NB Nortons was picking it up when I finally managed to log on - Nortons just couldn't load - a bit of a catch 22

Thanks anyway

Jacqui

1 laptop and one PC in my office with similar problem. Ran 'Stinger' virus removal on them - found several viruses on laptop, so I thought that was it but it still won't finish booting. Gets as far as entering user credentials, then hangs on wallpaper - no desktop icons etc. The other PC showed no virus.

Other threads recommended removing KB835732. Did this, no effect on PC, but the laptop now fully boots every other time!

It's our FD's laptop, so I really want to avoid re-installing W2K!

Any ideas??????

Hi
Update
The next day it reinfected the whole lot again

I finally sorted mine by watching the virus to see what files it attached to - deleted all of thoses edited the reg and ran to show any remaining items I'd missed.

I'd say it was worth a try

Update

Tried a few different anti virus removal tools as well as making sure Symantec 9 had the latest updates, but nothing worked.

Removed all xcalibre.exe entries from Registry and seems fine now.

Wish I'd done that before reinstalling W2K on 2 machines!

Here's a solution.... Invest in a reliable network virus scanner. (IMHO) Norton is famous for headaches like the one you just went through.

That is exactly what I intend to do. Nortons is OUT!!!

What would you recommend 110 users (43 external) and all very certain that they can do whatever they like with their computers

Jacqui

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back