Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hanging at checking nvram-gigabyte motherboard...

Status
Not open for further replies.

isibee

IS-IT--Management
Jul 29, 2003
CA
Well this is very simple, my pc is hanging at checking nvram and does nothing else. It worked very well before and now nothing. I unplugged everything and started from scratch bite by bite...still nothing...anyone got ideas? Personnaly I think my motherboard is fried...

thanks for the help

thanks,
Josée Parent

Communication is the key to success...[thumbsup2]

(photo gallery)

Have you looked for leaking caps? Also, carefully pry the BIOS chip from it's socket and reseat. Have you tried "bite by bite" with the motherboard out of the case? Sometimes a bug, or dustball can short the motherboard to ground. If it won't work outside of the case, you're all ready to replace it!

True Micker! I heard the origins on the phrase "bug" meaning malfunction happened in the early days of electronics, when a fried component was traced to...you guessed it, a dead bug shorting out components.

Might be worth clearing CMOS to check nothing's got corrupted in the BIOS settings. Should be a CLEAR CMOS jumper on the motherboard, or if not, take out the battery.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

Well guys, I tried every little suggestions you made and still got the same dam thing on my screen!

Any more ideas?

thanks

thanks,
Josée Parent

Communication is the key to success...[thumbsup2]

(photo gallery)

Reseating the RAM, as contacts become corroded, can sometimes lead to interesting results...

you may also try this, unplug all drives at the mobo, then try to post...

1.) if it POSTs then you know that one of your drives or cable is bad...

2.) if it does not POST, then it can be your MoBo or CPU or MEM or a PCI card that is hampering the BOOT process...

Ben

If it works don't fix it! If it doesn't use a sledgehammer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back