Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hangers directly to ceiling 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

568B

Vendor
Oct 13, 2006
US
Does anyone know of any code issue with screwing the plastic AI loop straps directly to the drywall/stud ceiling? We could screw a 2' length of 1/8" hanger wire to the drywall/stud then attach the loop strap to the bottom of the 1/8" wire, but directly mounting to the drywall/stud ceiling looks cleaner.

The AI strap can bee seen here:

Not sure what you mean. I know you don't mean the suspended ceiling grid.

If the ceiling has drywall screwed into ceiling studs and you want to use the studs only: how many cables?

It would make sense that the weight of the cable bundle could bring down the whole bunch on someone's head. Be careful here.

Code violations?? What part of the US are you in? If you are in Chicago or Las Vegas everything goes into conduit. Your area may have some blue law just for that issue.

Regards
Peter Buitenhek
ProfitDeveloper.com

In LA we have to run our own hanger wires and attach to the ceiling grid (in the middle not the corners) and if more than 30 cables a seperate wire or use allthread for the j-hooks.

To be safe call your local inspector and ask.

Good Luck,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

OK Oldtimerbob thanks. I guess my question is, have you ever attached the J hooks or whatever device you use DIRECTLY to the ceiling without a hanger wire? This way your wires are out of all the other contractors: A/C, plumbing, fire sprinkere, etc...

Seems all the hangers from Caddy attach to a beam or wire, but there is this one

abappl.jpg

which is model "AB - Pre-assembled CABLECAT" looks like it could be screwed to the ceiling

I guess my question is, has ANYONE ever attached the J hooks or whatever device you use DIRECTLY to the ceiling without a hanger wire? This way your wires are out of all the other contractors: A/C, plumbing, fire sprinkler, etc... Do you guys see any issue in doing that OR is it easier to work at a lower level via a hanger wire. Just trying to get a feel for both sides.

I have done many schools in Washington state where we attach the J hooks, Straps, and D rings directly to a beam or truss. As long as you are not attaching them to the existing ceiling grid hangers, you should be fine.

I've attached hangers directly to a drywall ceiling by using 1 1/2" screws and screwing into wooden ceiling joists. Conduit is run on the ceiling all the time, running cable on the ceiling is not a big deal...

OK. Thanks to all who replied.

I usually use 2" screws to make sure they hit the stud, but yes, I use standard cable caddy (or whatever brand you choose) all the time to screw into joists all the time. Just bend the hook, and screw it in. No need for a beam clamp.

I have done as 'touch tone tommy' shows above and that will work fine.
You and get longer ell's so the hooks won't be too close to the ceiling,if desired too.(depending on the height of the ceiling,doing adds or changes later on won't be as difficult).
Good Luck,

Has been in the cabling business for about twenty years and is now the Sr PM for a cabling company located in the Los Angeles area.
Also a General Class Amatuer Radio Operator.

Thanks to all who replied. We will be installing the hangers directly to the ceiling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back