Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hang when connect with dial-up

Status
Not open for further replies.

hughLg

Programmer
Feb 18, 2002
MY
I'm using dial-up connection. Sometimes when I click the Connect button, the Windows hangs, everything is hangs including the mouse pointer, forever, unless I press Reset (or Restart) button on motherboard case. Why?

More info needed...

Has this always been the case?
If not, when did it start?
Have you scanned for virus/spyware, disabled background apps using msconfig?

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

Not always, only sometimes. I'm using third-party firewall (Sygate Personal Firewall).

I can't expect when this probelm will happens.

I think I don't need to close the background applications, as I often check the program starting up together with Windows (usually after I installed a program, I don't like to start the application together with Windows since it'll slow down the start up), except the Windows component software.

I'm using Intel Celeron 633mhz. 56kb modem.

I need to know if the computer was ever without this problem.

Matt J.

Please always take the time to backup any and all data before performing any actions suggested for ANY problem, regardless of how minor a change it might seem. Also test the backup to make sure it is intact.

I said SOMETIMES, sometimes no problem, sometimes got this problem. I don't know when this error will occurs. Is my language so bad?
Thank you very much.

Mattjurado is trying to help determine whether the Sygate firewall program started the modem problem after you installed it but you're not saying what got installed first or whether you've had a problem with the modem ever since you first installed it. I'll share my experience with WinME and modem problems though. I had a problem with getting a good online-connection. I found out my modem was what is called a HSP modem meaning it uses other machine resources instead of being a total standalone functioning peripheral. Well I guess my machine didn't like sharing it's resources with the stupid thing. So I went to PC Club and bought another cheap PCI modem and made sure it wasn't a HSP modem (read the specs on the box). I installed it and I get online all the time now. Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back