Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hands on with Cisco 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoe24

IS-IT--Management
Dec 13, 2012
US
Im thinking about getting my CCNP, and there is nothing like hands on. My question is... Where do I go to get hands on? how can I get hands on. I a beliver in self study. Is it possible to do self study, pass the cert., and get a job, or do i have to spend alot of money and take a course?

Thanks to all...

Cisco Academy is your best bet to get hands on or buy your own lab year. Let me caution you though, if you don't have the requiste experience to possess a CCNP I would think twice about getting it. As someone who is often the interviewer I will look at your certifications and then look at your experience level and if they don't match I will grill you until you beg for mercy. Get your CCNA, get some real world experience and then go for the NP.

Hi,

If you can afford it, buy some Cisco gear so you can create a lab (simulators are nice but I've come across many CCNA's and one CCNP who didn't know what that funny looking blue cable was for!), and start practicing what you read. One thing that has really helped me learn is helping others and reading other people's solutions then going and trying their solution. Labs are a good place to learn the fundamentals but nothing beats solving real world issues!

Hi ,
definitely you need some hands on experience for CCNP.
if you cannot afford a lot of money for your lab the you could use GNS3 for simulation/emulation.
Very good for emulating Cisco Routers but still missing many functions for emulating Cisco Catalyst switches.
Then you could at least buy the switches.

========
Stelios
myhomelab.blogspot.com/

I have found GNS3 is flawed when it comes to troubleshooting...for example, I was troubleshooting why NTP was authenticating to the NTP server with an MD5 key configured without having the "authenticate" keyword configured. I could not duplicate this within GNS3, but could with real equipment all day long---same model of routers (2620s), same IOS (12.4 Advanced Enterprise), same day (lol)...

Real routers and switches off of Ebay. I would avoid the "CCNP Prep Lab" advertisements that come with 3 routers and 3 switches...buying the stuff separately and building your own lab can save you upwards of 50%.

HTH

/

10 ? "TIMMAY!!!"
20 goto 10
run
TIMMAY!!!
TIMMAY!!!
TIMMAY!!!
TIMMAY!!!
TIMMAY!!!
TIMMAY!!!
TIMMAY!!!