Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Handling "static" reports through CE

Status
Not open for further replies.

jhobrlant

Technical User
Nov 27, 2003
US
Hi,

I am running CR9 Advanced and the CE STD that came with the package. CE is working with ePortfolio and the sample apps.

I am creating my reports in CR and save them then "Save data with report". When registering the report with CE and viewing it the report is asking for login information (or I provide this with the CMC, objects, database settings.

Why there is a need to provide a "static" report with database related information?

Hobi

Not sure what the uestion is, but Crystal doesn't store passwords in the report if that's your concern.

-k

The question is, why do I have to provide any database information when the report is saved with data. I don't want to refresh the data there in future, means I will not need a database connection in future. This is what I call a "static" report.

Nevertheless I don't want to update the data the database information is saved to the rpt file and I have to add the logon information to CE to view the report.

Maybe I have to change something before saving the report in CR???

Hobi

I think you're missing the point of CE. It ignores saved data in reports, because the purpose of CE is to act as a scheduling and distribution engine for recurring reports.

If you want to create and distribute static reports on a one-time basis then you should just export them to .pdf and publish them to your users via email, shared directory or a custom webpage.

You are right in most of the cases. What my problem is that the reports we are creating are of some hundred pages and I wanted to use CE not for refreshing the reports (they should be delivered to a customer through a portal), but give them the opportunity to navigate through the reports and drill down easily by using CE's features.

It looks like I'm finding a way around by having some CSP doing all the "managed" stuff like authentication and so. Nevertheless there is the database login information I have to add to object properties in CMC.

If you have CE, then you have a web server. Create a page where you have links to these static reports in .rpt format. Licensed CE Users can then view the reports using the offline viewer (publish a link to the viewer on the same page). The offline viewer is downloadable from Launchpad, just replicate the url for it in your new page.

This solution allows you to publish one-time, static reports via intranet and gives licensed users an excellent tool for navigating through the hundreds of pages. It also involves almost no coding or mucking around with your production CE installation.

Another solution is to still use CE.
Publish the report and enter the necessary information to be able to run the report (database logon and pasword, etc).
Next, create one instance for users to view.
Now, change the rights to "View" for that report for the Everyone group.
This will keep those Users from being able to run it, thus achieving the "static" report you require.

~Brian

I like Brian's suggestion (and of course Rhinok makes good points), and to elaborate on that, you can give them access to historical instances, which is always useful, and to create their own schedules, output formats, etc.

Running reports in CR and then publishing them to CE is a bizarre use of CE, it's purpose in life is so that you don't have to do that sort of thing.

-k

It looks like I have to re-work our concept ;-)
Thanks to you for these basics.

Hobi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back