Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

halt shutdown on mx-one server

Status
Not open for further replies.

reimm

Technical User
Jul 23, 2012
PH
Hi to all,
Can anyone know how to cancel halt shutdown of servers...@ su: command shutdown -h now,,,how to cancel this command.

Thanks in advance.

If it is likely you need to cancel it, why do shutdown -h now and not put a time in it like shutdown -h 10 which will give you 10 minutes to change your mind and cancel it with shutdown -c.

There is some suggestion on various Linux forums that typing init 2 quickly enough will cancel a shutdown, but I have not tried this.

Hi himdp,
Thanks for the quick response.is it on start up of the server will i command init 2?

No, init 2 will supposedly stop the server shutdown if entered quickly enough after an unwanted shutdown -r now.
I only read this on a forum so cannot verify if it works. Give it a try and see.

If the server had been stopped already and shutdown...what other else can be done?thanks

My target is to start the server automatically from the latest data_backup made. Like starting it when command @ root: shutdown -now is initiated.

If you want to run the system from the last data_backup, why do you not just do a data_restore?
If you need to restart the server do shutdown -r now. Incidentally, there is an alias for shutdown -h now which is halt and an alias for shutdown -r now which is restart.

Thanks for the reply.
What will happen after boot after shutdown of servers by the command shutdown -h now @ su?
Thanks!

Well, if you have TSE correctly installed, the system should start with TSE running with the data from the latest backup. I don't really see what you are wanting from this? Are your questions merely academic or are you trying to do something practical here?

Hi himdp,
Thanks for the information.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back