Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hallå till alla I've some files wi

Status
Not open for further replies.

silkep

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2001
IT
hallå till alla
I've some files with stange icon overlay...
files icons appears regular but with a little black clock in the left-bottom icon...
what's that?

tack.

Silke

You can change the shortcut symbol that appears for icons that represent shortcuts.

If this appeared out of nowhere all of the sudden, I strongly suggest using the Trend Micro and Panda online antivirus scans. smah's FAQ will give you the links: faq760-3862

To change these icons, use the MS Powertoy TweakUI to modify the shortcut addition to icons:

uhm.. I have made no change to shortcut symbol and I'm sure it's not a virus (mcafee's installed)..

so I've no other ideas...

Sounds like the icon cache got corrupted. Try deleting the file IconCache.db usually found at Settings/Username/Local Settings/Application Data, the reboot. It should rebuild itself.

Has this clock icon replaced the Shortcut arrows?

Check this location in your Registry and see what value you have if the Key "29" exists.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\ShellIcons

These may explain my reasoning.

An old article so some of the locations might be a bit different in XP.

126631 - Removing Arrow on Shortcut Icons

Wow, I've found solution!!!

Windows XP ships with a number of icon overlays not only shortcut icon...

The "black clock" icon means that the file has been archived to tape and will take a very long time to access.

This "black clock" icon is particularly baffling because you sometimes see it even if your system is not equipped with Hierarchical Storage Management (My case).

When this happens, it's because some program (typically a setup program) didn't check error codes properly.

Could it also be from the disk cleanup function of compressing rarely used files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back