Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HACMP & /home

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebiJo

Technical User
Apr 30, 2002
US
We are planning on implementing HACMP. I am in the process of setting up the 2nd box. On our production box, I relocated the user's home directory onto the SAN, so they wouldn't loose their stuff on a failover. Now I'm setting up the 2nd box, I'm not sure what to do about it's /home. It's my understanding that I can't have 2 file systems with the same name. Does that include /home? So, can /home be /t_home? Or is /home ingrained into the OS somewhere other than the user setup screen?

Thanks in advance,
Debi

We used a symbolic link to accomplish this. For example:

ln -s /san/filesystem/fred /home/fred

Do this on both systems. This obviously only works, if the failover system isn't used by fred except during failover.

Thanks for the hint.... However, our failover system will be used by fred and sally and all the developers and..... they're going to use it for testing.

Thanks,
Debi

What we did was to leave /home on local drives and use unison to sync the directories between the systems. (we don't use the failover box for test though) You might be able to create test and prod directories in the programmers home directories so they could keep test and production seperate.

Just a thought.
Kirk

Most people use NFS with the HACMP Cross-mount feature to NFS mount the home directories across nodes. If the NFS server goes down, HACMP will then move the disk,ip, takeover the server portion and your home directories will be available.

Please note that the nfs location and the client mount point cannot be in the same directory tree.

ie - local fs of home = /home
cross mount that all users will think their home directory is in /u (w/o the link)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back