Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HACMP and passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.

madra

MIS
Feb 12, 2003
GB
Does anyone have a script that looks through the password files on both nodes in a cluster and updates each user IDs updates individually on t'other node ?

This is me being lazy I know, but it'll save quite a bit of work I reckon.

thanks

madra

I don't have an aix box to test this but i think it can be done using the following:

Code:
ssh HACMP_Node_Name 'echo newpassword | chpasswd user_name'

Regards,
Khalid

You can use HACMP utilities for user creation and password changing to keep accounts synced...

you can switch password utility from "Original AIX system command" (passwd) to "Cluster Password Utility" in:

smitty cl_modpasswdutil

When it is enabled for ALL, and user changes his password on a cluster node, the password is updated on all cluster nodes.

What happens if one node is out of the cluster when a user updates his or her password? Does syncing occur automatically when the node joins?

Right now I ask all cluster users with access to a shell (only a couple hundred) to change their password on the node that I designated as primary. I then copy passwords over to the other nodes ever couple of hours. It's a pretty ugly approach but has worked for years now. Obviously I'll run into problems if the primary node is unavailable for any length of time and users start updating passwords on secondary nodes... but so far I haven't had that issue.

I think cluster soft is not such clever and will not sync passwords after one node is back again.

Did you try IBM Tivoli Directory Server (LDAP)? I use it on clustered environment - all admin accounts are local of course but all customer accounts resides in the LDAP and are always up-to-date on all cluster nodes.

thanks for all your input

our customer has a live-live cluster which causes the complication. if it was ive-standby then we could just copy the files across either using HA's file collections or a bespoke script.
LDAP was given to them as an option but being a customer, they wanted something else.
We've tried to tell them that passwords are not consider a resource of or any part of HA but it just doesn't seem to sink in !!

thanks

Have you tried the chpasswd option? It should work in a script with ssh configured to access the nodes of the cluster without asking for a password! I use this for root in our partitions @ work!

Regards,
Khalid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back