Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HACMP and LPARs

Status
Not open for further replies.

kozlow

MIS
Mar 3, 2003
US
We are looking at replacing all our H boxes and an r50 with a HACMP cluster of two P650s. We were going to split them up into 5 to 6 LPARS. In prior HACMP configurations, we never had to worry about LPARs so Does anyone have any knowledge of how to failover using LPARs? Not sure on a failover if we would need to reconstruct the LPARs or if we would need to have the failover application startup and share an existing one. Do we need multi HACMP keep alives running for each LPAR?

I'm assuming the HACMP resource groups will be spread across the two P650s.

My initial thought is no. The resulting LPAR and AIX environment would, for all intensive purposes, be seen as a separate, individual machine. So a node down event would be seen just as it would be with two separate (non-LPAR) machines (like your current H series machines).

For the keep alives I would say yes, you would need multi keep-alives for each P650 (one serial, one network, etc. per LPAR). Now whether or not you could share the same physical serial, network, etc. for the keep alives I don't know (initial thought would be no unless you can share a single NIC or serial port across multiple LPARs?).

Doubt that helped any... as they're not definitive answers.

---
Batavus

Kozlow,

U r going to have a cluster of 5 or 6 lpars instead of two p650s, each lpar is a cluster node like H boxes or r50 that u have. A cluster node independ if it is a pseries or RS/6000 box or a lpar. Each cluster node or lpar needs to have a HACMP software and a keep alive connection like a RS-232 line or network, if you intend to use a RS-232, each lpar needs to have a 8-port RS-232 because p650 can not share a pci-device like this adapter, each adapter can be just assigned to one lpar.
I'm not sure, but I think that you pay only one HACMP license for each p650 and not one for each lpar.

Regards,

Okano

I found a redbook on HACMP and the 690... I got the License answer from a VAR... You only need one license per server, but you have to double up on every adapter.... The only good news is that if you go to AIX 5.2, you can dynamicaly configure the LPARS. This will allow you to "move" the internal CDROM and any internal tape devices between LPARS as needed.... I did not really want to have to use the network to install software...

Thanks for the info

Okano, You said "a cluster of 5 or 6 lpars instead of two p650s, each lpar is a cluster node like H boxes or r50", I am a little bit strange that, how to configure the RS232 as heartbeat line within one P650 not two P650? Maybe you can use two p650s and each has 5 or 6 lpars, one lpar as a cluster node to connect to one lpar within another p650 as a cluster node. I am not sure and I just want to know.

oops, just now I checked IBM redbooks about HACMP 4.5 and found that I can really configure the cluster within one p650s. That sounds great.

We can to configure each lpar like a cluster node in a just one pSeries box, a lpar is isolated from others lpars and the failure of one does not affect other lpars. pSeries machines have good RAS features that help to keep it running in case of failure like CPU Deallocation, Memory Chipkill, and so on.

Regards,

Okano

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back