Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Hackerdefender 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

LiLgUrL

Technical User
Feb 9, 2003
CA
hello people... i think my computer was infected by the so called hackerdefender... i am using a dial up connection and once i got connected after less than one minute or more it disconnects and created a new connection and named it as start_xxx and some popups appears something like online show but has nothing in it... if i delete the connection it would say that it is active and can not delete... i tried norton, mcAffee but no use... i still can not remove that thing... please help me... should i reformat it now? ... i have a lot of important files and as much as possib;e i dont want to miss them... thanks in advance...

~gwen~

There is alot of programs you can use to try and get rid of this problem without reformatting your computer.

Online Virus Scanner:
Spybot, Spyware/adware detecter and cleaner:
HijackThis, will create a list of running programmes and a list of registry enteries for programs that start at boottime and some other things to. If you run this program then copy the log and paste it onto one of the forums here someone will be able to help on what you should delete.

i am using windows xp and i haven't patched it yet... if im going to patch it will it solve my problem or help in a way? how about reinstall my OS... any other ways... im afraid to touch the regedit i might delete or remove something that might add more damage to my computer.

I am not sure whether the patch is going to solve your problem but you should definitely patch your system. The patches (notably the Service Pack 1) contain a lot of security and bugs fixes.

If your using a slow connection you can order an update cd from MS for free it will come with most patches for XP upto a certain date.

Go here to order it:

It can take a few weeks to come and will only patch up to feb, you will have to download the other patches from feb onwards.

i have patched... but the virus is still there... i don't know what to do now...

If your using windows xp make sure you turn off system restore before doing any of this stuff, or the virus will just keep coming back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back