Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

hacker tools 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

PCTHUG

MIS
Jun 11, 2001
US
I'am looking for some good hacking tools to use to test my sercurity on my own network. Please respond if can help!

Unless you're an experienced hacker (in which case, you'd have the tools already) you're not going to know the all the tricks. Go to Gibson Research and run the Shileds Up test against yourself. Jeff

I haven't lost my mind - I know it's backed up on tape somewhere ....

I'd recommend running SAINT on your network, since it will do a scan to detect any holes, and also gives you information on how to fix them. It will even reference CERT documents about the system vulnerabilities it finds. You can find it at:

PCThug:

Go out and buy OR get from Library the "Hacking Exposed: 2nd edition." will open your eyes and give you good info on how to "look" at your systems. They also talk about tools and power of the exploit the tool has.

V

Any wise saying here would be a waste of my time.

It would help if the original poster would let us know what Operating Systems he/she is running on the network so we could make recommendations for him/her...

If on *nix, start with nmap, look at *ALL* your open ports, and decide if they *NEED* to be open, closing those that dont.

(Also KILL OFF TELNET <G>... install SSH <G>)

Then as another responder mentioned, give saint a spin ... another that I like is nessus (
Then just for the ultra paranoid (such as most people should be...) grab snort, learn it, use it, monitor it, love it...

For Win32... best way to secure yourself is to either
a) Unplug the network cards
b) install */BSD or Linux

<just kidding... maybe...>

I dont use/support/recommend any microsoft product, as they are reliable on in that they are reliably late, insecure, unstable, and overpriced, so follow the advise of others here who use the M$ stuff..

-John

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back