Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

&H8007007E (-2147024770) while opening VB exe

Status
Not open for further replies.

vmaruv

Programmer
Apr 8, 2002
US
I have made an exe of my program. It works on my computer. But it is giving "SYSTEM ERROR &H8007007E (-2147024770) The specified module could not be found" error on some machines. I tried on couple of other machines. It opens fine on some of them but on some gives this error. I did a save / make exe.

Any clue why this is happening ? I'm terribly worried about this error. Please help !!

Is anyone aware of the above error ?? Please help!!

Google is a good place to find clues if you have the specific error number like this.

Also, if you just made an EXE and tried to use it on other machines, it is no surprise to see an error like "blah blah could not be found."

The other machines probably lack some of the files that your VB program needs. Perhaps there is a component on one of your forms that comes from an .ocx file that is not on the computer? Perhaps you have a reference to a .dll or .tlb or somesuch file that is not on the computer.... who knows! The safe way run your VB EXE on another computer is to make a proper installation program for it. There is a simple tool called Package & Deployment Lizard that comes with VB that you can use. Also there are others with more features.

Hi,

I'm not sure if this is the right place to post my query. Please let me know if it is not...sorry for that

I have used the PDW (Package and Deployment Wizard)as suggested by Sheco. with this tool I am able to successfully package and deploy pn my computer.
but the problem is when I am deploying the package on other computers on the network and trying to install, it constantly gives me a message that some of the system files have to be updated and once the updation is done I have to restart windows. I do this and when I doubleclick on setup.exe I get the same message again. I did this thrice..not sure why this is happening.

Any clues ?
Please help !!

vmaruv
The error you get is likely that a .dll or .ocx that the vb exe references does not exist on the specific machines, but does exist on yours. When you compile an exe, you should use MS's Package & deployment wizard to create a Setup.exe, which loads the required modules on the target machine. Short of this, look in the Project|References menu and find what .dll's this thing uses and put them in System32 of the target machine (if they don't already exist) and in the Run menu, type regsvr32 TheDllName.dll
--Troy

Vmaruv,
Sorry, I didn't read all of the other posts...I was repeating what another had posted.

Try going into the Setup.lst and remove the mscal.ocx if it's in there, this is a common problem. I have also gone to the extent of removing ALL of the files in the setup.lst list of .dlls, since on many machines the dlls that are causing your error already exist.

But the mscal.ocx is a known bug with the setup & deployment wizard.
--Troy

...the other known problem file in setup.lst is VB6STKIT.DLL, either make sure you have this on the target or remove it and the other bootstrap files from setup.lst. It's been a while since I've used the P&D wizard, it is really a hastily thrown together piece of garbage, we used Wise on some larger projects, which is a so much better, but there is a learning cost (and monetary cost) associated with Wise, so for smaller stuff P&D is what we used, but I almost always hacked the setup.lst prior to deployment.
--troy

Hi Troy..
Thanks for your help. mscal.ocx is not present in setup.lst file. I deleted the line with VB6STKIT.DLL (below is the line)
File1=@VB6STKIT.DLL,$(WinSysPathSysFile),,,6/18/98 12:00:00 AM,102912,6.0.81.69
and it gives me an error VB6STKIT.DLL does not exist.

In a situation not knowing how to solve this problem earlier, I have also installed VSI and tried to package and install my code.

Now I'm really confused which one is a better option to install my VB program..the PDW or VSI. Please suggest.

Also, please let me know how I can solve this problem.

vmaruv,
There were a few different combinations of hacks I used to use to get the thing to work. The main issue I had was similar to yours--it would keep saying it needs to install some newer versions and you'd need to reboot, but then the same message would come back. In these instances it seemed to be mscal.ocx that was the problem. But in a few, vb6stkit wasn't on the target machine. So first I'd try putting that line back in (or re-running p&d). Then copy your vb6stkit.dll to the target machine in the winsys directory.

Then, if setup.exe runs fine but the new target .exe file doesn't run, then you need to check each file in the
[Setup1 Files] section and make sure they exist on the target and manually register them (via regsvr32). I've not used VSI so I can't comment on that.

If the issue is while running setup.exe, then just remove one file at a time from the [Setup1 Files] section until the problem goes away, then you'll know the problem file, and you can just put back all the other lines and leave that one out, and manually register that .dll. In the past, I've had to actually run the third-party setup.exe for some of the dll's I'd included, for instance True DBGrid seemed to be a real pain to get to work via P&D--I often had to put a copy of the True DBGrid on our install CD and run it on the client machine. It kinda defeats the purpose of P&D wizard, but it was the only way we could get the things to work, prior to us getting Wise (double-entendre intended).
--Troy

I am not sure if you are using Windows Scripting at all but I had some weired funky errors like yours when tried to run my compiled exe also did not happen in the IDE environment though

Strange!!! I have looked up on MSDN and nothing on there m8.

UKmedia productions

Did you check the INSTALL computer for upgrades?

VB6 is such a piece of junk that it installs your programs with old DLL's.

Make sure your controls are up to date AND make sure ALL OLE DB drivers are up to date.

I tried installing on a WIN NT 4 and was greeted with errors. After Installing MDAC (free upgrade from Microsoft) it worked.

MDAC is up to version 2.8, but the VB installer is putting 2.0 on the machine.

If anyone knows, can I update the MDAC that is on the package wizard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back