Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H80 not starting up

Status
Not open for further replies.

kat000003

Technical User
Jan 27, 2005
CH
Hi all.

I have an H80 at work that has been switched off for quote some time now. I tried to start it up, but the orange (flash) light comes on a couple of minutes after the power on button is pressed and . The LED simply displays
U1.1-V1

When I look at the terminal window, it is at some service processor firmware screen, with some power options, system information options etc (none of these options seem relevant / useful).

How do I go about getting this server started up normally??

Thanks
Justus

How long has it been at this point?

Mike

"Whenever I dwell for any length of time on my own shortcomings, they gradually begin to seem mild, harmless, rather engaging little things, not at all like the staring defects in other people's characters."

It's a CEC power supply 1 fault. You'll need to change it

Mike, it has been there now since the time of my first post. Say at least an hour...

Gloups - machine is not under maintenance anymore, and we are not using it in Production env, so I doubt my company will want to spend money on fixing it. Definite on the power supply failure though???

To be sure, try with another one if available on another machine.

kat000003 said:
When I look at the terminal window, it is at some service processor firmware screen, with some power options, system information options etc (none of these options seem relevant / useful).

What power options? When our H50 (the H80's smaller, weaker, and short lived brother) has been totally disconnected from power it starts up into SMS and we have to select "Power On/Off System" to start up the actual server.

- Rod

IBM Certified Advanced Technical Expert pSeries and AIX 5L
CompTIA Linux+
CompTIA Security+

Wish you could view posts with a fixed font? Got Firefox & Greasemonkey? Give yourself the option.

As Gloups said, the CEC power supply 1 has failed, you'll need to change it -

And as Rod says, try the power menu, it probably has a flat battery and has lost its boot list. If the power on option does not work, either you only have one (blown) power supply in the CEC and it can't power on (the service processor lives in the i/o drawer so it works even if the CEC cannot power up), or try booting to SMS and select the boot device or set the boot list to boot.

CEC - central electronics complex - the bit with just a power light, check for power leads, if only one you only have one power supply and it has blown.

I/O drawer - the bit with the pci adapters, the CD drive, the op panel (the service processor, cmos battery, disk drives) and the on button and reset button.

Both the CEC and i/o drawer can have up to two power supplies, if you peer through the grill you should see the mains lead connectors, there will be one or two for each unit.

I have tried the 'Power On System' option, but this simply return the screen to the menus again, so no luck there...

I have also made sure that all power supplies are connected, but this should not have been an issue in the first place, as the power was never disconnected from these machines when they were decommissioned.
I think I need to try a power supply from one of my other servers, so I will let you know how that goes, as soon as I find some time to play!

Thanks for all of the suggestions in any event.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back