Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H323 trunk to IP Office 403 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauneee

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
GB
Hi All

Firstly, an apology - I posted the following in Definity but was told this maybe a better forum (as it probably relates to the IP 403)... Right, here goes!...

I guess this is more of a "Why does it work at all?" question - so here goes...

Currently have CM 3.1.5 and all is well with that but the business pays for an external conferencing facility - ah ha! I can do this with our current switch so, sure enough (after a bit of searching here - thanks guys for various setup guides posted) managed to get it working fine with the standard limitation of 6 way conferencing...

Now, kicking round, I've got an IP Office 403 so the thought goes "Maybe I can trunk to it and use it's (ok) "basic" conferencing facilities (as it allows upto 63)" so, updated it to latest firmware and setup H.323 trunk to it fine... Now, I can call it (the 403) and speech is fine (even passes display etc) but when I call from an extension on it back to an extension on CM I just get waiting for line - ok, bit more digging about and silly me has just noticed it's not got the voice compression module in it (as getting no vocoders error) - but here is my quesion (finally got there!)

Why on earth can I call phones on it??? If there are no voice coders present on the 403 surely I should be able to get speech that way either! Indeed, just set up 10 "channels" on the trunk and made 10 calls into the 403's Conference facility and its all ok - just can't call out on it!?!

Here's hoping someone can explain it for me...

Thanks in advance

Shaun

All :) Have tried IP (4610 & 4620), Digital (6408) and just a plain old POTS - that's why I was so confused - it *shouldn't* work but it does - maybe is something to do with "as long as it's not another IPO on the other end" (never really looked into H.323 setup messages that much)

Don't know if it matters but mine was set to 64k Alaw on the trunk as Shauneee also had.

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

F***S sake i just put the vcm back in. this lid has been on and off like a W****s drawers. :)

Never argue with an idiot. bystanders won't be able to tell the difference.

Right, have found a 2010 (in former said dusty cupboard) and can confirm that POTS/IP phones and Digital phones on CM can "talk" quite happily to POTS or Digital (2010) phones on the 403DT - i.e. get 2 way speech...

Tom just leave the lid off and power it up, then you can whip it in and out at will....the VCM card I mean :)

LOL!

what are the trunk setting like on the CM so i can try and replicate on the 406?

Never argue with an idiot. bystanders won't be able to tell the difference.

Same here Tom 3.0(580), I rang into a POTS mind, did you ring from another IPO or Definity/ACM? tlpeter the DT SOE will work anyway as they have VCM built in

But that does not mean that the 403 has one !!!!

At least some one who is paying attention :)

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

It's just your post made it sound like you were going to try it with an SOE DT too.....so there, shouldn't you be drunk by now anyway? :)

I already had a beer with my spicy chicken and chips :)

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back