Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H323 trunk to IP Office 403 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauneee

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
GB
Hi All

Firstly, an apology - I posted the following in Definity but was told this maybe a better forum (as it probably relates to the IP 403)... Right, here goes!...

I guess this is more of a "Why does it work at all?" question - so here goes...

Currently have CM 3.1.5 and all is well with that but the business pays for an external conferencing facility - ah ha! I can do this with our current switch so, sure enough (after a bit of searching here - thanks guys for various setup guides posted) managed to get it working fine with the standard limitation of 6 way conferencing...

Now, kicking round, I've got an IP Office 403 so the thought goes "Maybe I can trunk to it and use it's (ok) "basic" conferencing facilities (as it allows upto 63)" so, updated it to latest firmware and setup H.323 trunk to it fine... Now, I can call it (the 403) and speech is fine (even passes display etc) but when I call from an extension on it back to an extension on CM I just get waiting for line - ok, bit more digging about and silly me has just noticed it's not got the voice compression module in it (as getting no vocoders error) - but here is my quesion (finally got there!)

Why on earth can I call phones on it??? If there are no voice coders present on the 403 surely I should be able to get speech that way either! Indeed, just set up 10 "channels" on the trunk and made 10 calls into the 403's Conference facility and its all ok - just can't call out on it!?!

Here's hoping someone can explain it for me...

Thanks in advance

Shaun

I don't have a DT they were not sold here :-(
I did untick voice networking (I am not a rookie any more ;-)and I am awake today) but I had direct media ticked on,
tested it again with only the out of band DTMF on and still the same result

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Hi Westi

Guess it has to be a "DT" version then - there must be "something magical inside" (aka some basic IP/TDM briding) as amriddle01 got exactly the same findings as me - will be intrested to see TomMills's results (going to put the magical "workload dependant" disclaimer in here but if you're like me, I did it just for the "fun" ;-) )...

give me five minutes. been for a liquid lunch.

Never argue with an idiot. bystanders won't be able to tell the difference.

How many? I usually have three on a Friday lunchtime anymore and I start to wobble ;-)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

was going to say, I never try to do too much admin work on a Friday afternoon :)

Two kronenbergs. The girl i went with was on wine and drank slow, and it was her round, so i didn't have time for a third. Might have sent me over the edge if i had anyway :). i cant drink like i used too.

Hmm i have a SOE DT and probably also a 403 DT somewhere :)
Going to try one day

RTFM.gif

ACS - Implement IP Office
ACA - Implement IP Telephony -- ACA - Design IP Telephony
ACA - Voice Services Management

cant get it to work. removed scn. changed the trunks to standard ip trunks. put a shortcode in the 406 to dial over the ip line. without vcm, rings busy. with vcm rings through fine.

What firmware do you guys have on your 403s?

Try an old one

RTFM.gif

mines on 3.0(580)

Try an old 2.1 perhaps it does work

RTFM.gif

mines 3.0(580) as well... wonder if it will only work from a CM platform then? (really can't see why as it *should* just be a standard H.323 trunk - but then again, we all know about standards don't we)

indeed. i dont have anything other than IPO's here to create an ip trunk from. :-(

Same here Tom 3.0(580), I rang into a POTS mind, did you ring from another IPO or Definity/ACM? tlpeter the DT SOE will work anyway as they have VCM built in :)

i rang from a 5420 to a 2030.

Maybe ill try ringing into a pots from the 5420

That was before I saw your post Tom, I think IP offices look at each other to see if the other system has a VCM and if not drops the call where as the Definity doesn't do this, just a guess :)

Ah - there's a thought - I just use a POTS phone as had one handy - I'm just going to dig out a digitial phone (think got some 2010's about)

yeah i didnt think it would make a difference, i always understood TDM > IP needs VCM come what may and IP > IP uses for call setup, depending on how its programmed.

Shauneee, are you ringing IP phone on CM to pots on 403?

I rang 6408 to POTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back