Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H323 trunk to IP Office 403 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shauneee

IS-IT--Management
Jan 6, 2004
GB
Hi All

Firstly, an apology - I posted the following in Definity but was told this maybe a better forum (as it probably relates to the IP 403)... Right, here goes!...

I guess this is more of a "Why does it work at all?" question - so here goes...

Currently have CM 3.1.5 and all is well with that but the business pays for an external conferencing facility - ah ha! I can do this with our current switch so, sure enough (after a bit of searching here - thanks guys for various setup guides posted) managed to get it working fine with the standard limitation of 6 way conferencing...

Now, kicking round, I've got an IP Office 403 so the thought goes "Maybe I can trunk to it and use it's (ok) "basic" conferencing facilities (as it allows upto 63)" so, updated it to latest firmware and setup H.323 trunk to it fine... Now, I can call it (the 403) and speech is fine (even passes display etc) but when I call from an extension on it back to an extension on CM I just get waiting for line - ok, bit more digging about and silly me has just noticed it's not got the voice compression module in it (as getting no vocoders error) - but here is my quesion (finally got there!)

Why on earth can I call phones on it??? If there are no voice coders present on the 403 surely I should be able to get speech that way either! Indeed, just set up 10 "channels" on the trunk and made 10 calls into the 403's Conference facility and its all ok - just can't call out on it!?!

Here's hoping someone can explain it for me...

Thanks in advance

Shaun

first thing to check is your short codes on the ipo. can you post them and detail what settings you have in your IP line.

Hi - thanks for reply...

Not sure if allowed to posts screen shots etc so will type out settings...

Shortcodes:
There are only the default ones in the system (as I defaulted the unit before setting it up)
There are non on the line - just 1 entry in LCR...
Code: ?
Phone Number: .
Feature: Dial
Line Group ID: 9
The idea of the above was that as I am only connecting it via an IP trunk, any "non local" extension numbers should route via the IP trunk (Line 9)

IP Line settings:
<Line Tab>
Line Number: 09
Telephone Number: <blank>
Outgoing Channels: 10
Voice Channels: 10
Incoming Group ID: 9
Outgoing Group ID: 9
National Prefix: 0
Number of Channels: 10
Data Channels: <blank>
TEI: 0
International Prefix: 00
Prefix: <blank>

Shortcodes Tab: As mentioned above, no entries

VoIP Tab:
Gateway IP Address: 10.1.16.34 - this is the address of (one of) the CLAN(s) for my Definity System
Compression Mode: G.711 ALAW 64K - am using G.711A/64K on Definity as well
H450 Support: None
All boxes UNTICKED except... Out of band DTMF and Allow direct media path...

Hope that's everything!

Thanks, Shaun

Feel free to post screenshots, it will save you typing :)

ACS - IP Office Implement

"I'm just off to Hartlepool to buy some exploding trousers

I think you have seen this doc?!

Also Monitor traces will be good to post here, don't forget to enable H.323.

Avaya_Red.gif

In the system what are the dial shortcodes? There are some in there I assume just the ? . Dial one? Also do a monitor trace of an incoming call from CM and an attempted outgoing call to the CM.

Bas1234 & amriddle01 - thanks for the replies...

Bas1234... Sort of - the one I found was an older one - some of the settings were defintly different and the link you posted goes on to explain a little more about VCMs (am fairly familiar with both the Definity and IPO 403 just never tried H.323 trunking before today)

amriddle01... Have to admint, yep - they are just the default ones though (was half tempted to delete them all as the idea was to use the IPO403 to just do some conference work) - There is an extra one I added which is... Code: *99N# Telephone: N Feature: Meet-Me-Conference (I think as no longer connected to my PC @ work)

Both: Yeah, missed the obvious didn't I... (Guess we are all guilty of that sometime)... Had trace running (which is where I saw the "WAITING FOR LINE") but forgot to switch on H.323 - I'll run that tomorrow when I'm back in and post some results then...

Once again, many thanks - Shaun

When you say you can call into the handsets did you actually speak on them or just noticed they rang and assumed it worked OK? The lack of the VCM card (just re-read your post fully) means it will never work, how the conference works I don't know I assume that does not rely on VCM channels :)

I wonder if it is possible to call over a IP line without a VCM card.
I am surprised it does work for incoming calls, never tried this anyway.
For your solution it should not matter as you want to use the conference bridge, the conference bridge is a TDM device and your line is a IP line, then you need VCM resources in order to be able to have audio on a conference (i think) BUT because you say you can call and speak fron CM to a extension on IPO you may have luck and conferencing may work.
Create a shortcode in the IP line in IP Office like :
SC = 5555
TN = 5555
Function = Conference MeetMe
Line ID = 0 ( zero )

Now if you call from CM a number and translate that to 5555 and send it to the IP Line you will access the conference bridge.

Now you see my "issue".... ;-)

I can confirm that from the Definity (be it an analog or digital or IP handset) I can dial "148201" (148 being my Trunk Access Code for the H.323 trunk to the IPO and 201 an extension on the IPO) and the call rings and of I pick up ext 201 on the IPO I have full speach back to the Definity (indeed, ext on Definity even shows extension details from IPO as quite happily passing Name & Number) - what makes it worse is that 201 on the IPO is a POTS phone! - possibly could have understood if it was an IP phone as may have it hairpinning or something but going from a digital phone on the Definitay must have undergone TDM --> IP which is trunked to IPO and then doing some IP --> (assume) TDM as going back to a analog phone but couldn't get the other way working...

That's when I read about VCMs - ah I thought, need these to do TDM <--> IP in IPO *but* if that's the case, how on earth is the call going from the Definity to the IPO in the first place? (not that I'm moaning - at the end of the day, as I said, will use it for a conference bridge so all traffic will be initiated from the IP trunk (and had a 10-way conference running perfectly earlier today - all phones were Definity side)

Hope that makes a little sense (as really got me confused at present) [ponder]

Intigrant he already has conferencing working, he want's to call out to the definity/CM

Intigrant: Ok, will give that a try - as amriddle01 says, conferencing is defintly working (don't know why but who am I to complain!) it's just can't get a call from IPO --> CM - am guessing it because have no VCM but then why on earth is it working the other way (i.e. CM --> IPO) if I haven't got any VCMs anyway - does that imply VCMs are only used for "outgoing"? (which actually may answer my question!) - as I intend to use the IPO as a conference bridge, all calls are inbound (as CM has a limit of a 6 party conference without spending £££ - sorry if teaching you to suck eggs! - just figured would be "clever" and see if could trunk to 403 and use it 63 way conference - which ironically I can - just couldn't get my head round why working inbound but not outbound with no VCM card)...

I'll post some logs tomorrow along with the results of seeing if I can joing an IP403 ext to a conference setup via the IP trunk :)

You could try to play with Direct Media Path on the IPtrunk.

Avaya_Red.gif

I have the same setup (with 406 though not 403) so I'm going to pull the VCM card tomorrow and look at what happens for myself. You may have the most valuable 403 ever, one that works without a VCM :)

Bas1234: Will do - that document link you gave me a few posts ago definitly has a few different settings...

amriddle01: Happy playing! Now, I would say I hope you don't get the same as me as that would defintly make mine a valuable 403 :) As daft as it sounds, I've got about 6 more of them (we used to have them installed at our branch sites before having CM - now we use G350 gateways hence so many) - to make sure I'm not going daft, I'll blow the dust off another one tomorrow and see if get the same results... "For the records" I am using 3.0DT firmware (will post exact version tomorrow) - any chance you can post the results of your VCM-less 406 test? My only logical conclusion is that VCMs are used purely for "outgoing" (as if you had 2 x 403 trunked, you would have to use some VCMs as you can't make an "outbound" call which, of course, is the inbound call on another IPO (hopefully makes sense!) - in my case, as I'm using CM as the "outbound" leg it is sort-of working... unless anyone else has any other thoughts?

I know with sip you get the "waiting for line" if you don't have a vcm or license for sip.

do you also have the license for h323 networking?

No - just a "out of the box" (or in my case, dusty cupboard factory defaulted) IPO 403...

You don't need that for a 403 going to a Definity/CM though :)

I remember hearing somewhere the VCM was only need to make calls not receive them. Never tested or confirmed but for some reason this sticks in my head. I never looked for documentation either.

Kevin Wing
ACS- Implement IP Office
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

I have a 403 and a 406 at my desk at work and only the 406 has a VCM so I will try in the morning but you guys are up before me and have it probably already tested when I roll out of bed :p

Joe W.

FHandw., ACS

If you can't be good, be good at it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back