Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

H323 Driver problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

purepest

Technical User
Jun 22, 2004
GB
Hi

I have recently installed the RAS driver onto a site and cannot get it working.

Its an AVAYA environment with IP telephony and we have an 8.9 system in there. When the driver starts up it says the following

'Failed to perform GET (Extension) request for IP X'

Where X is all the addresses in the iprange.txt file.

I have set the community string on the CLS to match what is set in the TFTP server on the client side.

Can anyone please advise?

The RAS service works in two ways, these are:

- Sends an SNMP request to each of the IP addresses in the ranges you specified during the driver configuration requesting its details. This is the cause of the error messages you see and all it means is that the CLS is not receiving an SNMP response from the IP address. Note that for this to work the phones have to be specific models and the main CLS date network card needs to be able to 'see' the subnet the phones are on.
- the second way the RAS server recognises a phone is by spanning the voice data network and recovering the login / logout message. Again, this only works for certain models of phones and requires a second network card to connect to the SPAN port on the voice network.

NICE have a technote (TN0674 from memory) that may prove useful for the first method as it deals with situations where the SNMP community string has been set to a non-standard value.

what port have you configured on ras driver on cls driver setup. Check a phone by pressing hold >a>d>d>r #

You are looking for callsvr port value.

Hi

Thanks for the responses - had more here than from NICE :S

I have asked the customer to try that 'hold>>d>d>r #' but they say that doesn't work. The phones are a mixture in the rage of Avaya 9600s.

The port was left as default. As the customer cannot carry out the above keystrokes on the phones they think that the port will be the same as ours.

I read in the documentation talk of some spanning the network and its mentioned above. I no actual spanning ports on the CLS. I only use 1 LAN port. All the spanning ports are on the loggers for the audio.

I have read the tech note on the community string setting but it hasn't helped after carrying out all the options.

purepest,

you said you set the community string but did you set the cls ip address as allowed for GET snmp request for the phones? i'm not too familiar with 96xx series but for 46xx that would be SNMPADD string.

Yes the IP address of the CLS is in the SNMPADD section of the tftp file.

Have any of you guys had to use 2 network cards to get this working?

purepest,

i think you need to make sure ip phones get SNMP message and respond to it. firstly check its firmware level, afair 96xx were a bit weird on some firmware versions, then use a sniffer to check if ip phone gets SNMP packet and responds to it. and the most basic check -- are there any firewalls between the cls and ip phones?
this mechanism is dumb as a rock, it just must work if properly configured. no black magic there.

Then phones are 9650 with firmware version 1.2

I have asked our customer if there are any firewalls between the CLS and the phones and they told me there is nothing there.

When the customer did a packet sniff on the network port he said that there wasn't much to go on in the way of SNMP packets which I don't understand. I would have thought there should have been loads of SNMP packets leaving the LAN port.

purepest,

well not really loads, afair cls shoots a packet per second with three retries per phone extension. is it possible to set port mirroring on an actual phone port, connect laptop to mirrored port and sniff actual phone traffic? that way you'll see if it gets snmp requests at all. sorry to nag you but this problem smells like small and nasty error somewhere in config files. got 'em by the wagonload every time.

I know I haven't updated this in a while but I am still working on it and will update soon :D

What do you have in the configuration in the files.
IPrange.txt
GKlist.ini

In the IP range text files I have 5 IP ranges for the phones that are to be recorded and in the GKlist.ini file I have the CLAN IP addresses.

this case inicidentally is now at R&D level within NICE :s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back