Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GZIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

phile

Programmer
Apr 20, 2001
GB
Hi,

After looking to see what processes were causing a heavy CPU load on my Cobalt RAQ4 I have noticed that the gzip command is using around 80% CPU and each gzip process runs for over a minute, in all around 5 seperate processes. Can anyone tell me what processes maybe using gzip as I am unaware of anything I have installed. The process runs under root each time. If anyone else has experienced this and can advise I would be very greatful.

TIA

Phil.

Well, I can't tell you what processes are running on your box, but you can do "ps -ef |grep gzip" and if the process running gzip as a child is not identified on the command line (in other words you only see "gzip" under the CMD column of the ps command) you can do "ps -ef |grep (parent pid or PPID of the process using gzip) to see what the process is and thus find the process calling gzip. Hope this helps, if it's not clear post a clip of your "ps -ef |grep gzip" command here so I can look at it. An infinite number of monkey typing at an infinite number of keyboards will eventually populate the internet.

see if you have the command 'pstree' available to you. This should make it obvious what is running it.

The only thing I can think it might be is your logs rotating, but this would only happen for a short period each day.

Check the cron to see what jobs are being called. It could be a direct gzip call or another program calling it. Just check the time of day the process runs then look for processes called by cron around that time.

Thanks for all your help guys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back