Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gzip - File too large error 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gringomike

Technical User
Aug 6, 2003
GB
Hi all,

I'm in the process of trying to unzip a file that's over 9gb in size.

I've tried the following however each command returns the "File too large" error message;

gunzip file.tar.gz
gunzip < file.tar.gz > file.tar
cat file.tar.gz | gunzip -dc > file.tar

I'm only running gzip 1.2.4 and I've read that I may need to run gzip version 1.3.5 in order to support large files. If this is the case, does anyone know where I can get my hands on this version for AIX in executable form?

Failing that, does anybody know of another way round this problem?

Thanks in advance

GM

Hi Ken,

They only have v1.2.4 of gzip. I'll need a later version (or a patch to take it up to the next revision) before I'm able to 'gunzip' a file over 4 gb in size.

I hadn't come across that site before though - I'll definitely keep it in my favourites from now on!

Any other ideas?

i think you'll untar your file later ?

then, why dont you unzip and untar it on the same time

gzip -d -c myfile.tar.gz | tar xvf -

They have some binaries for AIX on the gzip homepage ( ... but if none of those work for you then just download the sources and compile it.
It's quite simple and works just fine ... I just tested it on AIX5.2 with gcc and I had no problems.

Thanks for the replies.

I unzipped and untarred the file at the same time as per Gloups suggestion however I'm sure the links provided by KenCunningham will also be handy in future!

Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back