Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GWIA : Detected error on SMTP command

Status
Not open for further replies.

bynico27

Technical User
Apr 12, 2004
AR
Hello again.-

again I need your help.
I have groupwise 6.5 in my novell. All work fine ( I can send email inside my network ) but when I send a email to internet, It appears to me " Detected error on SMTP command" in the Gwia console and soon appears " MSG 213 Response: 450 Host down ([xx.xx.xx.xx]) "
My Novell is behind of my router making NAT.
Somebody can helpme??
Greetings from Argentina
Bynico

A non-GroupWise domain acts as the medium that defines the link between a GroupWise® domain and another messaging system (for example, the Internet).

Ok...a non-Groupwise system is used when non use Internet-style addressing in your system. I use this type of addressing, then this is not the problem.-
Another test that I use is the utility GWIP, that tested the connection to the port 25 and to the register MX in your DNS, which both are correct ( the connection is OK )
I don´t know that more check.
Anymore idea?

Greetings from Argentina

PEOPLE!!
I solved the problem!!!!!!! ( ok...partially ).-
NOW can send mails to Internet, but the mails arrive with this format of address : UserID.PostOffice.Domain@ipaddress_of_Netware_server.
Since I can do for change it, I want that the format adrress be UserId@domain_name
Somebody can helpme?
Greetings from Argentina
Bynico

First off, how did you partially fix it? Check your Internet Addressing under properties of the GroupWise domain in ConsoleOne. Remember if you make changes you will need to restart the GWIA for them to take affect.

bmdb

Partially is because i can send mail to Internet but I can´t receive from Internet. I don´t know the cause....
Too, when i send and email to internet, the recepient recieve the mail with the address UserID.PostOffice.Domain@internet_domain ( i solved the problem with "ipaddress_of_Netware_server" but the problem with "UserID.PostOffice.Domain" i can´t solve it, in ConsoleOne---->Tools---->Operation og groupwise system---->Internet Address---> select the option UserId@Internet_Domain but the problem persist.-
ANother idea?
Sorry for cause problem.....but i´m desesperate!!
Greetings from Argentina
Bynico

I had the same issue when I tried to bind a secondary IP address to my server running gwia. So I tried to use NAT...and had the same issue again. I ended up just having to bite the bullet and bind the ip address to the server, and not use a secondary or NAT....That is what I found from my experience.

Tamra Graver --CNA, Network+
It is my job to comfort the disturbed
and disturb the comfortable..........

People...another idea??.-
I make "telnet 25" and can connect to the server, but i send a email from yahoo.com or ubbi.com to my server and not receive it!!!
What can do???

Have you looked in your GWPROB directory to see if the incomming emails are going there and then review the messages to see what error they are indicating.

For the record:
Groupwise 6.0.4
Novell Netware v5.1

GOD, I have had this same issue. When I put in a firewall I discovered that sending email to people that are users in my Novell domain would not work if I addressed the email fully like: username@domain.com. If I used the Groupwise address book it worked fine.

At no time did I have a problem sending email to the outside world or having email come in.

I also learned that if I sent mail using pop/smtp within my network I didn't have a problem spelling out the email address entirely. It is like Groupwise didn't know how to handle the full email address?

I also noticed that my setting in the Groupwise (tools, groupwise system operations, internet addressing) is set at: userid.post office.domain@internet domain name

Could this be the issue? To troubleshoot this before I came across this thread I pointed the Groupwise server to an internal DNS server which could properly resolve mail.companyname.com and that did not seem to do anything. I have no email problems other than this additional one: I am not getting non-delivery receipts.

Thoughts?

By the way: I am also getting these errors like bynico27:
Detected error on SMTP command" in the Gwia console and soon appears " MSG 213 Response: 450 Host down ([xx.xx.xx.xx]) "

That all started when this issue started with not being able to send emails internally using the full address within groupwise.

AHHHH

bytenhd: Do you mean to say that I need to go to Novell 5.5 in order ot get that internet to domain/po translation right? That 5.1 won't cut it?

Just want to be crystal clear as I am a Novell newbie.

Thoughts?

Well its easier in later versions of the GWIA/NWAdmin setup screens.
Later versions handle internet addressing natively.
The old versions of GW had to have translation rules created.

I think 6.5 is the coolest.

Did anyone ever solve the problem of 450 host down (mydomain.com) where mydomain.com is your actual domain. My server is using NAT and behind a 3Com Superstack firewall.

like drich1212 says... that 450 host down error still persists with me... my only remaining problem is not getting undeliverables...

tony

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back