Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GWIA Crashing

Status
Not open for further replies.

dansykes

Technical User
Apr 2, 2002
US
At random intervals, but usually overnight and appx once a week, GWIA stops responding, without abend, to incoming smtp traffic. Can't telnet to it, either. Exiting GWIA from the console, then restarting, gets me back up and running.

I'm aware of the GWINTER problems associated with viewing of newer HTML/XML, but that stuff causes abends, not silent crashes. What could be causing this?

Any pointers/links would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dan

P.S. It's gw 5.5EP , final sp
on NW 5.1 final sp.

Dan, we are having the same problem, and it's getting worse. Our GWIA simply stops responding after an hour or two. No error messages, nothing. F6 restart and everything flows fine again, for about an hour or two. Netware 6 sp4, Groupwise 6.5 sp2 beta with additional ftf files. Latest TCPIP stack and NIC drivers. We even moved it to a completely different box and rebuilt it, no good. Did you ever get relief?
Thanks in advance.

Yes -- It just stopped. All by itself.
I'm sure it will start up again soon, but for now okay.

Have you tried the basics? (DSREPAIR, etc).
What about TCP port responses/scans?
Just thought.
As for me, I'm looking at OpenExchange next go 'round.

We've been happy Groupwise users for a decade, and will hold onto it through the transition to Linux. DSREPAIR shows no errors. When it locks up, we can't telnet to port 25 on the GWIA. Doing an F6 restart fixes everything. As I said, I have the latest TCPIP files, NIC drivers, and ftfs. I even moved it to a different server. I have opened an incident with Novell, too, but wanted to check here for the word from the trenches.

Sounds like you're doing everything right.
Good luck and all the best.

When moving the GWIA to the new server did you follow novells best practice and put it in a secondary domain and set the MTA on the new server to use TCP/IP for the communications link? If not this is what Novell will have you do first. This has fixed it alot of times, I have also seen issues where someone was running a script trying to relay off the GWIA even though the GWIA was set not to allow relaying groupwise 5.5 will still except the message put it in gwprob and reply to sender with the error which will tax the server so bad GWIA will hang untill restarted I found this using a sniffer and blocked the script at the firewall by blocking the source address.

I have not heard of anyone checking the Send and Recieve threads. Has this been done? I know that as your system grows you very well be be hitting your limit. You can up the number of threads and see if this helps keep things flowing. Also one other thing to keep an I on would be SPAM as it uses these threads. One thing I noticed with our system was an email virus hammering the system wich would cause things to frezze. First try looking at you threads and see if they are all used next time the freze happens. Good Luck

I have not heard of anyone checking the Send and Recieve threads. Has this been done? I know that as your system grows you very well be be hitting your limit. You can up the number of threads and see if this helps keep things flowing. Also one other thing to keep an I on would be SPAM as it uses these threads. One thing I noticed with our system was an email virus hammering the system wich would cause things to frezze. First try looking at you threads and see if they are all used next time the freeze happens. Good Luck

We are having the exact same issue except we are running NW6.5sp2 with GW6.5sp1. GWIA works fine for a day or two and then stops accepting smtp traffic. Bouncing the GWIA 'fixes' the issue but I am at a loss as to where to start troubleshooting. Our threads seem sufficient and one Novell rep. suggested that there might be an issue with the latest TCP update but does not know whether there is a solution yet. I do notice many TCP read errors in the GWIA logs. Any advice would be appreciated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back