Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GW6.5 using GWTSA and BackupExec 9.1 PROBLEMS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cleo02

Technical User
Mar 15, 2002
CA
Error returned "insufficient privilege", or no data sets or FFFDFFF2, etc. I tried a variety of things including:

1. Created a new user with correct privileges. Didn't work.
2. Unloaded backup exec, gwtsa, tsands, tsa600, smdr and deleted tmp files in SYS:\SYSTEM\TSA\TEMP. Reloaded all and retried. Didn't work.
3. Tried doing the smdr new thing. Didn't work.
4. Updated the gwtsa.nlm and xml files with the latest from the novell site. Updated agent list. Recreated job. Didn't work.

Noticed the main problems were with the files off the post office itself (ofuser, etc.). Tried to create a job to back up only these files and when drilling down into directory no files were listed. Noticed an N\ at the top of each of the offending folders so they appear like this:
N\GWDMS
N\OFFILES
N\OFMSG
N\OFUSER
N\OFVIEWS

Checked in the post office, there is no structure "N\". I can browse all the files with no issues.

So how do I resolve this problem? We have been turning off the post office to obtain a full snapshot of our post office but this is inconvenient. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Note: will be posting this message in the Backup Exec forum as well.

HI,

I don't have an answer to your problem but I have something similar and hope someone has seen it.

I have a client where the backup says that some of the user databases and some of the message database were skipped. Yet when I go through the motions of a restore, the files it claims it skipped are actually in that session and can be restored.

In my case it is Groupwise 5.5.3 and BE 9.0

Any ideas?

Lou

Hi,
I have been using GWTSA with GW 6.0 and ARCserve 9.0 and initially had similar problems. I solved the problem by playing with the config lines in the GWTSA.NCF file. It seems to be very picky about the syntax used. I don't have the lines I used right now but I'll post them as soon as I go back to work.
I just created a file called GWTSA.CFG and entered all the paths. Then I edited the NCF file to load GWTSA and call the CFG file from there. This is just the way the rest of the GW NCF files do it, so it is easier to remember where all the settings are.
I don't think that Novell supplied a GWTSA with GW 5.5. I was using an ARCserve Agent before I upgraded to 6.0.
You can still copy all the individual files from the Databases unless one happens to be open and a retry may catch it later on. But as I understand it the GWTSA grabs the Domain and Post Office as single objects and is best used to restore the system peices in event of a major crash, Etc. So I only use it for a Full Backup and do a single file Backup for Incremental Jobs.

HTH
Ken

This thread is a bit old, but if it is still of interest to anyone. I was having similar problem and just the other day solved it by installing the latest BackupExec patch for 9.1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back