Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

gw greyed out option to empty trash

Status
Not open for further replies.

John1Chr

Technical User
Sep 24, 2005
US
Hi all,

When I right-click trash and I go to cleanup properties gw won't allow me the option to select empty trash manual or automatic. In addition, I cannot delete anything from my trash.

It's because your system is configured (probably at a global level) to not allow anything to be deleted/purged until it has been archived or backed up. This guarantees that anything passing through the GroupWise system is 'on the record' permanently. Useful in terminations, litigation, ediscovery etc.

Marvin

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

I cannot delete anything that's before 4/30/2009. That's all that remains and cannot be deleted. I think you're right.

I was told that their is a file running in the background...that you can see in task manager that automatically deletes everything in 21 days. Not sure, which exe that is, though.

I had mine set this way, but had to remove it. I have 2 users whose "new mail" goes directly to the trash instead of the mailbox. Any ideas Marv?

There are policies that can be defined at a system level that control the 'clean up' of users mailboxes. This can be enforced globally or just set as a default suggestion that the users can modify to meet their needs.

The process you mention is most likely that purge process - it's set to purge any mail after 21 days but that doesn't make sense.. why would any company want to enforce a policy that purges any mail older than 21 days. It doesn't make sense. Additionally, it would be very strange to NOT allow you to delete mail yourself, but then in 21 days it gets purged anyway. I would be interested in seeing how this system is actually set up, very bizarre.

Ronstid.. That's a good question and there could be a lot of different reasons. Someone moved folders around, you have a rule, you have junk mail or block user settings.. could be many. But it is most likely a setting on an individual mailbox, not a system level configuration.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE
Marvin Huffaker Consulting, Inc.
A Novell Platinum Partner

We are converting over to Outlook and everyone is anxious to clean-up and downsize prior to the migration in October.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back