Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GW 5.5 Upgrade to 6.x Pifalls & Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

FarOut

Technical User
Jul 25, 2002
US
We will be upgrading to GW 6.x in the very near future. It's my partner in crime and myself's Christmas present. Does anyone know of any area's to be watchful of during the upgrade that maybe is not covered in the Upgrade Guide? We will be doing all pre-flight checks to insure a stable Network and GW system as possible before even starting the upgrade. And we will not be upgrading the Gateway's. We can delete and recreate them probably a lot faster than upgrading them. Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated.
TIA! FarOut
V-Peace-V

Hi FarOut . . .

Are you running webaccess?

Yes we are, two Enterprise Web Servers. Thinking about going to Linux & Apache. But that will be after the upgrade. FarOut
V-Peace-V

FarOut -

After we upgraded, some users "Sent Items" in WebAccess was really outta whack! Showing a handful of items from months ago - and no matter how many times we attemtped to delete them, fix/validate and perform maintenance on the mailboxes, they still were present.

After looking digging deep into the depths of TID references, I found one that highlighted our exact issue.
Apparently, if a user has ever deleted their "Sent Items" folder (from the regular desktop GW Client) and then re-created it, the user may show some items from their original "Sent Items" folder. However, this is only true within WebAccess - as their regular desktop GW Client "Sent Items" displayed correctly.

Novells resolution was to delete & re-create the users GW account.

Good Luck.

Noted and logged Michigan. Every little chuck hole I can miss will get me home that much quicker.
Thanks Again! FarOut
V-Peace-V

It is really easy. No problems at all. The most important thing to remember is that you have to start from primary domain. The rest can be done with no hurry.

Yes, I do plan on taking it slow. I have allotted myself 30 days for the upgrade. Most of the endusers will be kept on WebAccess after the upgrade is completed. With the additional features in the Web Client there is no need to push the Windoze Client down to them.

Thanks for the heads-up wsola. My hope is that I do not have to post here for answers to a problem during the upgrade. But, I feel as though I would receive premium answers to my questions if I would have to.
Later! FarOut
V-Peace-V

Those worries will soon be behind you. I had a 6 week plan to upgrade 19 MTA's, 300 POA's, GWIA, and WebAccess. Finished it in 3 weeks. I was cranking out 15+ POA's a day. Suggestions...
Maint on the POA before the upgrade. no brainer.
Give the Primary plenty of time to propegate.
The Upgrade Guide from Tay and Danita. Caldonia has it, it is definatly a MUST.
WebAccess...I went for a fresh install of netware and all. I use a netware/w2k iis combination.

also, I wouldn't go through the whole CD install for all your POA/MTA's just the primary. You can just do a file copy for the rest. That way you can script alot of it.

seagrtj - Much appreciated. Yes, the Upgrade Guide from Tay and Danita is a must. It is wraped in fine linen and stored in a fire proof vault :). Good point on the PO\Doamin upgrade, even though I am not dealing with as many PO's\MTA's. Thanks again for your input, it has joined other notes & suggestions in a digital log.
Have a Good One! FarOut
V-Peace-V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back