Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GW 5.5 Permanent New Mail Icon 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

QedMatt

Programmer
Nov 21, 2001
US
I have a user who's new mail icon will not go away when he reads all his mail. I checked on the Novell site, and they had a suggested fix for GW5.2, but we are running 5.5 and their GW5.2 fix did not work. According to TID 10056056 ( I should:

1. Rename the old damaged database to user???.bak
2. Log into GroupWise as the user; this will create a new empty user database.
3. Run a recreate user database from message databases to recover the user's mail.

But when I got to step 2, I received an error message to the effect of the user database wasn't there, and it wouldn't create a "new empty user database" as the instructions indicate.

Any suggestions? All help is greatly appreciated! I have tried renaming an older, existing user db to the user I wanted to fix, but to no avail. Before I mucked things up, I thought I'd go back and do more searching for a solution.

Thanks!

Matthew

Where is the icon, next to the name? the mailbox? a folder? Does it follow the user to another computer? Does the email work correctly, just is a visual annoyance? What version of back end? What client version (5.5.?.?) is it?

Cheers,

Mark ;-)

If you are talking about GroupWise Notify, you have to go into the Notify Icon and clear all messages that may still be there.

I had this problem too it was because I had marked an appointment not read even though I had accepted it when the appointment was marked as read the problem went away I had it again too when I had lots of mail in my archive folder that had not been read! Hope this helps

Hi everyone! Thanks for all the responses! I apologize for not getting back to you sooner, but on top of providing user support this week, I am also coordinating a move into new space, ordering new equipment, etc.

Answers to Mark's questions:
1) The icon is next to the mailbox. When the user reads all his mail, it stays next to the mailbox. If he closes GroupWise, then opens it immediately, the icon goes away until he receives new mail.
2) This will happen on any computer the user logs into.
3) Email works fine - it is just an annoyance. However, the user is my boss, so I'd like to fix it :)
4) Back-end server is 5.0. GroupWise is 5.5, and client is 3.3 (we are running win 98SE).

Answer to Salserocito:
This user does not run notify, but he uses the scheduling/calendar feature a lot. Thanks for the direction, though!

For Lottie246:
This seemed very promising at first, but we went through all of his appointments and it is still showing the new mail icon until he closes GroupWise. Any other ideas?

Thank you all for responding! I have been kicking this around, and we're thinking perhaps the latest service pack might clear it up? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Matthew

What is the GW version + sp, Enhancement Pack or not? (You can check the module version at the console by typing "m gw*". What is the GW client version? (In client, click Help > about GroupWise)

Cheers,

Mark ;-)

Hi Mark,

The module version is 5.5e, and the client version says:

Version 5.5
Enhancement Pack
Program Release 5.5.5.1 5/24/01

Is that what you mean?

Thanks!

Matthew

I had to perform a top down rebuild of groupwise to get this problem to go away. i have not had any problems since. If you need assistance doing the rebuild here is the TID that will explain it step by step 10007365

good luck

I've had this problem myself on my own email account and I attempted many fixes but never was able to remove the icon. I didn't want to go through a rebuild so I looked and tried everything else that I could. The icon would go away for a short time at times but would always return.

A fellow GW Administrator sent the answer to me and it was much simpler than a rebuild.

To start we are running GW Client version 5.5.4.1. I dug out my copy of GW 5.2 and installed it to a virgin workstation (no previous GW install). I then confirmed that I had read or removed all unwanted emails from my GW 5.5 email account. I logged out of GW 5.5 then logged into GW 5.2. And there it was an email that I know I had read and deleted some time before was still sitting in my Inbox. I opened and deleted the email and logged off 5.2 and back into 5.5. The icon was gone and hasn't returned since.

This is a neat trick to keep in your notebook for the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back