Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

GUI loses connection, won't re-connect

Status
Not open for further replies.

jsargent

Technical User
Jun 25, 2001
US
I'm using Networker 6.0.1 on Wintel platform (upgraded from 5.1). I'm running NT4 sp6a. Ever since I upgraded I've been having a TON of problems. One really ANNOYING problem is that when more than one group is running at once, it'll run for awhile, and then I'll get a message saying I've lost my connection to the server. If I try to re-connect, it just tries for like 10 minutes and fails. I can't reconnect unless I stop and restart the services. Anyone else seen that??? It's SO annoying!

Hi,
Try to check the \nsr\res\nsrla.res file on the backup srv, and the service-connection port ranges, which should be 7937-9936 and 10001-30000 respectively.
I saw the behaviour you are experiencing when using very narrow ranges (expecially for conn. ports). After a modification in nsrla.res you'll need to restart the NW services.

Bye

This sometimes happens I notice if nsrck is going on. If you check Task Manager you should see nsrck processes running. Ours usually runs for about 20 mins. You will also lose connectivity when backing up the bootstrap.

Does the connection come back after awhile? How many clients are you backing up?

Ok...I think the problem is fixed. It turns out that we had a tape drive on it's way out, and whenever Networker would try to do anything with that drive when backups were running, it would kick me out. I figured this out by watching the monitor tab very closely for a few days. Once the drive was replaced, POOF! - no more problems. Thanks for the help you guys! I appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back